Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i need some help with my keyboard. I recently purchased a new motherboard because my old one was fried. everything worked perfectly after i installed new drivers (worked for 1 month). Now the keyboard wont respond. device managers say its working properly but it wont respond to any keystrokes. The only time it will respond is on the startup tapping num lock or caps lock will work. Oh and if it helps its not usb keyboard.

Tried:
- disconnecting keyboard and reconnecting
- using another keyboard
- uninstalling driver and rebooting

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
Sounds like a registry or OS issue. I've seen this problem posted before, only fix I've seen is a fresh install of the OS.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm ok i have a little more information on the problem if it helps. The reason the motherboard was replaced was the old CPU fried and i guess it damaged the component that detects the monitor because it just wasn't working. Also one of the CD drives would no longer open luckily i had a working drive from an older computer. So in total a CD drive, motherboard and CPU was replaced. The hardrive wasn't replaced it worked perfectly. The new motherboard didnt need to format the hardrive when it was booted up so all that needed to be done was installing the drives for the newer board and validate OS. it actually works 1/2 the time after the system boots. could it be a defective board or could the other hardware be damaged from the original CPU frying? =S

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The OS needs to be reinstalled after major hardware changes (i.e. Mobo-CPU)
You can try a Repair Install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok another problem has just come up.. the keyboard now responds to keystrokes but some of the characters are off. if i type a sentence a few characters will be switched with other characters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep, reinstall OS.

It's like performing a brain transplant on David Beckham and after the surgery, expecting him to play like David Beckham again.

Sorry - I'm still trying to think of how that analogy works as it just popped into my head but it's just funny thinking about it! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks for the help guys but 1 more thing... its becomes more than jus a keyboard problem. when i boot up the computer it will give me a black screen with an error msg like:

-----------------
-----------------
--------press f8 for ----
-----------------
-----------------
---CPU OVERVOLT---
System Halted!

With the ------- being words of course but i cant remember what it said exactly when i press any key to continue it brings me to the BIOS. I check the CPU voltage and it reads 4.506V when it is normally sitting at 1.2V and th cpu temperature fluxuates between 30C and 50C it never hits 40 something it just keeps jumping in the 30s and 50s. I havent touched any of the settings since i bought the motherboard, its all set to Auto. so i exited the bios and it goes to the loadingscreen before the one where you can select users and it freezes there.

I have no Idea what to do. =S right now im formatting the Hardrive. Im not sure if it will help but im going to format then Install the OS again.

any suggestions guys?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good News =]

The formatting and reinstalling the OS gt rid of the overvolting problem with the cpu. Now the computer boots up properly but theres still the original problem to deal with. The keyboard types giberish most of the time and after about 5 minutes the keyboard doesnt work anymore.

so installing the OS didnt help with the keyboard.

do you guys have any more suggestions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.