Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am having serious problems with my keyboards. when I press some letters like 'g b y t a' its generates wierd codes.

g = Dg GH`B'GN#
a = AS
y = YUI
b = NMB,N

these keep changing all the time, sometimes it just generates unending code and I have to hold down the backspace key for it to stop.

I have changed my keyboard from the original one that had a serial port to a new USB type but this has not solved the problem. Now I have both plugged in and have to use both to type as the keys that work on one do not work on the other.

I have started my computer in safe mode and done a full virus check, using mcafee and avg, i have even used housecall which is an online antivirus but this has not solved the problem.

I have changed my regional setting from UK to Us and back but this does not solve the problem.

I got remapping software anthis shows that all the keys are mapped correctly.

I have downloaded every microsoft patch but still with no joy.

I need some help please. frustrating typing with two key boards. appologies for gramatical errors, I just want to send this.

Thanks

David

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
The 2 areas that affect keyboard mapping are;

Keyboard settings are in Control Panel-> Keyboard
Language settings are in Control Panel-> Regional and Language Options

Use only one keyboard at a time - a stuck key will/may cause both to appear errant.

A System Restore is also a possibility if this event had been recent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The remmapping software shows that all the keys are correctly mapped. I have not used it to change anything.

I can't use one key board as some letters either do not work or generate something different. For example a/A will generate as/AS or it will bring up a pop up message of "Do you want to turn on caret browsing...Pressing F7 turns this feature on/off. This feature puts..........".

So for some reason my letter a on the key board is generating a command for caret browsing.
This is just one example. When both keyboards are plugged in the keys that do not work on one or generate the different output usually work on the other.
For example, backspace does not work on the old one but works on the new one.

I have looked at the regional settings and these are okay. I have used US and UK on both key boards but they still have the same problem.

I have never done a system restore. Does windows XP automatically save the state it was in on previous days?

Could the problem be that I pressed keys in a particular order and that has activated something?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked at both and tried to follow the instructions. I think it has something to do with the Alt Keyboard Sequences.

It now only happens when 'CAPs Lock' and 'NUM Lock' are active. then (a generates = ASD) and pressing 'CAPs Lock' does not turn it off. I have to press SHIFT to deactivate it.
I have uninstalled drivers and this does not help.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.