Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, I have the same problem as this guy does... and I did sort of the same thing. I ran an anti-malware scan (unhack me) and I may have deleted an important file. Whatever the case, I have the same problem. I tried safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last known good, and I just can't get it to work. Last known good does nothing for me. Safe mode with cmd brings me to normal cmd. I don't have the installation disk, therefor I can't do much. I have WinXP MCE SP2.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi Mezmeer and welcome to TSF !

Related thread : http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10...ont-work-at-windows-log-in-screen-255766.html

We prefer to keep one thread per user so we'll continue in this thread.

Is this an OEM installation that came preinstalled on some brand computer or laptop or is this a retail installation ? If it's a brand computer then what's the brand and model ?

In safe mode with command prompt type sfc /scannow (mind the space after sfc). If this is an OEM installations all the needed files should be on the hard drive. If this is a retail installation you may be asked to insert an XP MCE CD. You'll need an XP SP2 CD.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hi Mezmeer,

I sent you a PM before you were moved to here.
Please post any comments or questions to that e-mail here.

Best regards,
Mack1

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a somewhat similar problem this week, although it pertained to installing a new PCI card for a lab instrument on a Dell Optiplex 755. After installing the software containing the required driver, I inserted the new PCI card and turned it on. The computer booted to the login screen, but had no mouse or keyboard response at all. My first thoughts were, 'great, I'm screwed,' but I saw hard drive activity. I waited until the drive activity light stopped, still no mouse or keyboard, and then pressed the power button. Windows gracefully powered itself off. I repeated this process 3 times, and the third time it booted, the mouse and keyboard both worked again.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Thanks for the input sptsailing, it's not the most usual way to fix that problem but who knows :wink:

@ Mezmeer : Forgot an important detail : the first thing to do would be to try another mouse and keyboard, PS/2 models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.