Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its quite odd, I have 2 machines here in my shop that when you try to use a keyboard (ps2 or usb) it locks up both the keyboard and the mouse.

Some Quick notes:
1) Keyboard works all the way up untill windows loads
2) When the mouse and keyboard freeze, windows does not
3) I have removed several viruses off the machine
4) I have already ran sfc
5) I've already ran chkdsk

What else could be causing it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow i feel like a moron now lol...was the chipset drivers, they got corrupted somehow, that and it doesn't see the drivers for the ps2 keyboard oddly...Thanks once again TSF.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OKay, so I thought the problem was solved. I did a windows inplace install (Simplest way I know to remove ALL the drivers and start fresh) well now it is doing it within the install...the keyboard/mouse worked completely fine up untill it asked me to enter my product key...soon as I hit 1 key on the keyboard it locked the keyboard and mouse up.

Quick Notes:
1) Once again keyboard worked fine in bios as well as in the windows boot cd
2) This is windows xp
3) I've noticed on the 2nd machine that is having the same problem, the device manager says that it has install the pnp0303 driver (standard ps2 keyboard) but was unable to locate the hardware.
4) I've also retracked my steps and realized all this started happening after I installed "CA Computer Security Suite 2009", The removal of the AV does not fix the issue and there are no issues of this sort on CA's forums.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick update, device manager is now saying there are missing or incomplete registry keys for the keyboard device driver (pnp0303). I did a registry search on a "working" computer for keyboard and found multiple entries yet when i did the search on the broken machines (using on screen keyboard) I found zero entries..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, seems to be a irq conflict, dug a little deeper into the information related to the pnp0303 driver on the system and it actually clearly states "Input/Output range 0060-0064 used by Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.