Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I've done a lot of search engine checking and nothing was of much help.

I have an ACER Aspire AST135-U-S3302 with 3300+ AMD Sempron, 512mb DRR and a 200GB sata HD. I think I had the memory boosted to 1GB when I bought it, but am not 100% sure on that.
It's less than 4 years old. For most of it's life, I had it sitting on my computer desk with the fan opening against the hutch part of the desk, thus restricting air flow. Never had a problem. I decided to move it before something happened, so I opened it, cleaned it, shook the dustbunnies out of it, moved it to the opposite side of the desk (with free air flow), and then the problems started. Intermittently at first, but now it's constant. I have to hard boot the computer using the front power button and when it comes up, the mouse and keyboard freeze up. The mouse works while the system is booting up, but will freeze on the desktop. The first few times this happened, I could hard boot it over and over again and eventually, it would work. Over the last week, I've moved the mouse and keyboard to different USB ports and it would work fine, until it was shut down. I've ran out of 'new' USB ports on my computer, front and back. The last time I got it to work, I decided to back my files up the the D: drive and reformat using
ALT F10. Everything seemed fine. It booted up and I, once again, had mouse and keyboard control. I edited the msconfig check marks, and did a restart. It booted up and the keyboard and mouse froze up again. It freezes on the welcome screen. It's as if the system just stops recognizing the mouse and keyboard. Everything is ACER.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Disconnect all usb devices from the computer except the keyboard and mouse then see if there is any differance.

Try a different keyboard and mouse.

If this all fails would it be possible to try a ps2 keyboard and mouse?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doby. Thanks for the advice, but I've done all that. I only have my keyboard and mouse plugged in and I've tried PS2. I tried another keyboard and mouse. Still, the same problem comes up. I downloaded a 30 trial of AVG and it says I have no viruses, but when I run an anti-rootkit scan, everything freezes up. I did that last night and just left it. When I got up this morning it wasn't frozen anymore. I still don't dare shut my computer down.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
I can't see it being a virus you just formatted it almost has to be a hardware issue.

You should run memtest86 to test the ram, you will have to reboot because memtest is run from a bootable disk. Run memtest on each stick of ram seperate assuming you have more then one, let it run overnight. Any errors and you found your problem, my bet it will find errors in 10 minutes

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Reseat the cards and RAM and check all connections. You might have knocked something out of place when you were cleaning.

Post back with a screenshot or list of all the Startup Items under your msconfig Startup tab.

If the mouse works while the system is booting up, but then freezes on the desktop, it could be a driver or system file problem related to whatever you did in msconfig.

Are there any red or yellow flags in Device Manager?

After you reformatted, did you install the latest chipset and device drivers?

If you downloaded the trial version of AVG, does that mean you didn't already have an antivirus installed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.