Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. First post.
My copmputer has been running slow and occassionally freezing, particularly when opening e-mail attachments.
When I used system monitor I discovered the kernel processor usage is always at 100%. I've run multiple virus scans both internal and online, anti-spyware, anti-malware and closed all non-essential applications. Nothing helped. The hard drive is about 3/4 full.

Any suggestions?

ranzachsteve

·
Registered
459 Posts
Download AVG anti-virus which is free just google it to find the application, make sure its the lastest one, and install it. Restart your computer in safe mode, then run the virus scan, make sure its a full system scan. That might help, when you press control, alt, delete is there any processes that look strange. Check for spyware and malware, using spybot search and destroy or adaware, from download.com. Still no luck then possibly try this: click start, then run and type 'msconfig' in the services and start up tab you can select what windows starts up with that may free some usage up from your cpu. Thats all i can think of, let me know if any of that helps.

·
Registered
459 Posts
What computer do you have?

cpu? Ram? hard drive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Info to Rebellion 88

I have an HP Pavilion running Win ME, 640Mg Ram,P3 at 850.
I actually have AVG but have not run it through Safe Mode. Nothing out of the ordinary with mscfg. The computer is 7 years old. Could I have a deteriorating MB/CPU? I have Spybot, AD Aware and Zone Alarm not to menton my network goes through a router.
I hate to spend the dollars but I'm so bogged down I may have to cosider buying new. I'll wait for Vista if I do.

Thanks and g'day mate.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Your hardware should not be degrading, there lifetime through wear and tear could make them last well over 10 years. Maybe you could send me a screenshot of your processes through control+alt+delete. If you terminate a process, like one that takes up alot of resources (not explorer.exe and do not terminate system resources unless you know what they are) do you notice a change in the usage at?

If you see that explorer.exe is the process using all your CPU do the following:
You can terminate this first to check and then go file run to restart it again, as its the start bar at the bottom.

1. Open up regedit
2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

After restarting the problem should be solved.

You could also have a keyboard issue, some logitech keyboards have some driver issues which can cause the 100% cpu usage. Also physical damage could case the problem, this may also cause 100% usasge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.