Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is taboo!! BUT!!

But, I really need some sort of computer monitoring software. FREE hopefully, but our girl won't stay away from myspace.com and now that I've banished it, her brother has told her how to delete the history. That just makes me the "nazi".

I have to know what I'm talking about when I ask her "what sites were you at today?" and then I look in the files from the search and find out I'm not being treated truthfully.

She's just now 14, and very pretty. I do my best to make sure that she isn't vulnerable, BUT!!!!

I know this forum doesn't believe in the "big brother" theory, but I'm desperate to stop this, short of being a "nazi"!!

any Ideas???

Please post!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

I use Cybersitter.

One very smart 13 year old has not yet found a way around this. I know a way she could, but it is probably too simple for such a smart ***** I'm not telling her either or posting it.

Your router will have log files if you have a router.

You could also look at the history files

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

Most of the parental control programs and routers will alow you to restrict the hours of use.

Our daughter knows that my wife or I can cut the hours she has Internet access how in a few seconds.

The excuse that she needs it for homework fails miserably when we point out she should have done her homework during the allowed hours. Suddenly needing the program suspended for a few minutes to do homework last thing at night doesn't work. She has allowable hours. If she wastes them, tough.

I keep the password very secure. She has to leave her room before I will enter the "control panel" area of the program to make any changes or add a site to trusted zones.

hth

Ceri

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Hi, all....

Dunno if I should weigh in, but can't resist. In no way am I trivializing the dangers and online predators....also off; I am news junkie and also C wut up on MSNBC....and with friends with small kids.

But gotta say.....having been the recipient of ominous, ongoing messages from my essentially terrified mother....all with premise that every moment I was only a mm away from everyone taking advantage of me or my being victim of evil doings.....took me much work to mitigate later. I have not, in fact, been such a victim so far(this is a miracle), but the former really messed with my sense of self and autonomy.....bigtime....also implanted anxieties NOT indigenous to the human I am.

Anxieties....past a certain point/intensity....R communicable. Also being cavalier and unplugged. & naive. Two bad extremes.

She is picking up on your "music" first....the lyrics become moot, and plugging in re her unique identity, maybe doing intrnal defrag re matters of intimacy & helplessness....and investing with confidence in her, discussing things openly but without the OMINOUS MUSIC.......WILL SERVE HER FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE........hypervigilance "music"....too often does the opposite. I know whereof I speak. She will nevah trust herself or grow real self esteem.....if she is always being doubted. Adn she know; she hears "the music.""

Being doubted past objectively justified degree---not that I am in favor of unqualified faith evah....but the latter erodes growth & self esteem & good judgement far more than most realize........I will leave the actual software thingy to those who know, as I do not.

Best,
Jill

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
You could use a HOSTs file. Just add the Myspace URL to the bottom of the list in the correct fashion and when your computer tries to navigate to the site. It bypasses through the HOSTs file and does not allow anything in it to be loaded, URL wise. It is also a great way to stop popups, bad websites etc.

A highly recommended HOSTs file is this one:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Im pretty sure it will do the job you are trying to achieve. If it manages to stop advertising loading etc. then im pretty sure, that with the right entry, it will prevent myspace from loading.

·
Registered
796 Posts
What router are you using? You may be able to block it at this level. I have a gateway at the office that allows me to block urls I don't want the staff visiting... believe it or not, myspace is on that list.

Post back with your router model and we will see if you can change the settings from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.