Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep getting, (Work Offline message. No connection to the internet is currently available. To view Internet content that has been saved on your computer, click Work Offline. Click try again to attemept to connect).If i click try again i get on with no problem, this problem recently started. what could be causing this annoying problem, thx in advance :confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Freestyle....I need more info.

What are you using for your internet connection?

If you are using broadband, then I wonder if this problem started recently.

Was there any software that you recently installed, or have your run a spyware/adware removal program recently?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Try the following:

Goto Start->Control Panel->Internet Options->Connections->Lan Settings

Make sure Automatically Detect Settings is turned OFF

We can't help you much more unless you tell us what sort of connection your on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you ran adaware, what did it find? Do you remember at all?

If it found lots of spyware, adware, and malware...there is a chance that the removal of one of those programs blew away your Winsock settings. This happens when these malicious programs "latch" on to your network connection to use for their own purposes. When Adaware removes the offending program, it removes the Winsock with it.

You can tackle this problem two ways. The easiest way in my opinion is to download a winsock fix program...but you will have to do this from another computer obviously. Save it to a floppy or burn it to a CD, and run it on your computer. Here's the link to the easiest fix I have found.

http://www.goesp.com/Downloads/Software/XP Winsock fixer/

If the link does not prompt a download, go to www.goesp.com. Click on Downloads, then Software. It is at the bottom of the list called XP Winsock Fixer. It is a great tool to keep around.

The second choice is to delete the TCP/IP protocol in your network settings, then add it back in. The only problem with this is that it may ask you for the Windows XP CD, it may not. I have had better luck with the Winsock Fix tool.

Sorry for the long post, but just want to be a specific as I can.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, if you are able to get to the internet sometimes....and this is an intermittent problem.."never dial a connection" is checked. That way it will not prompt for any other connections.

Do you have any dialup connections setup for any reason?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.