Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a website I would like to be able to "stay connected to "
in the chatroom. But after no activity for any length of time I get disconnected. It is not the chat room.........as I have spoken with them.

I recently installed STAY ALIVE, but I still get disconnected.

Is there anything else I can do ??

Thanks very much,
Postcard

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
ok....

are you saying that your internet connection cuts off, or that you get disconnected from the chat room?

if you are having an issue where you isp shuts you off after 10 or so minutes of inactivity, then ill tell you what i did to stop it...

install a messenger, that has a constant status refresh, (msn messenger, yahoo! messenger, Aol instant messenger, icq, eyeball, trillian, cheetahchat, and tons of others) any messenger, and that will be considered activity*, enough for your isp to not autoboot you.

if this isnt your problem then let me know, i will try to get back to later on tonight, and im sure others have some idea of what is happening...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you take a look at that www.bysoft.com and let me know how to get the IP address to show up.........and also how do I get
the connection to start.

As far as the activity tab goes........it is working and counts down as it is supposed to . But I can't seem to figure out to get an actual connection so that it shows the IP address .

thanks...

:confused:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well

this is what i noticed as soon as i got to that site:
StayAlive Pro is 32-bit win95/98/NT/2000/XP program that simulates Internet activity so you don't get disconnected from your ISP.
this is what is says on that site....
this is what i was thinking your problem was, most internet service providers will auto-dissconnect you if you do not have internet activity. the stay alive program is supposed to stop this problem,

but it won't even begin to help with the problem you are having....
you arent being disconnected from the internet you explained....
you are being disconnected from the chat service....

stay alive doesnt look like its going to be your solution....
it is my best guess that the chat service has server issues.
try a chat service whos machines are ran by some real technicians. LOL

~BoB~

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep alive

Alright...........who would you suggest that runs a chat room.......
that will not have this same problem???

I'm always willing to try something better.............and make the site more functional.

I appreciate that you took the time to do the looking................
thanks very much.

In the meantime............I uninstalled my Keep Alive..........

any other suggestions.................that might help me in the meantime.????

Thanks again............
Postcard

;)

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

well i dont use chat rooms all that much....

but i will say that i havent ever been disconnected from MSN chat....

and i will say that the only times i was disconnected from Yahoo! chat was back in the days of the "booter" programs that people were slinging around... those are over now, more or less...... and if you do get booted from yahoo, then download cheetachat at www.cheetachat.com cheeta allows you to go to the same rooms and talk to the same people as Yahoo! but cheeta is more stable.... and Yahoo! and Cheeta both allow swearing and adult conversation and are non-hosted....

AOL chat seems to run good, although i hate AOHELL......

MIRC seems to please alot of people, but i am not willing to try it.....

there are countless others......

i would like to ask what chat service is the one you were having trouble with?

there are also some programs that will auto talk, in the chat box like a bot, and that will keep you from being disconnected from the chat service, if it is one that auto-disconnects.... not many do....

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
what the....

well, i can't even get the site to load...

i typed it into the address bar as www.shakeNshine.com ....

i tried like 5 times and i get a page cannot be displayed message....

i had two of my friends try to access it from their locations....

no luck...

i can't help you with it if i can't get there :p

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
weird

this is weird...
i tried to open it with the AOL browser (which i never use) and it loaded...

i am going to see how it works for me...

~BoB~

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This indicates that your ISP is timing out idle socket connections which would result in you losing your room connection, though keeping your connection to the ISP alive.

This is what the server I am using has emailed me......
in regards to my problem.
Does that help at all.............to fixing this?

Thanks very much,
Postcard:rolleyes:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: weird

bob vila said:
this is weird...
i tried to open it with the AOL browser (which i never use) and it loaded...

i am going to see how it works for me...

~BoB~
Wow bob that is the first time I have heard that. It's usually the other way around!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
yeah

thats what i thought was weird, usually stuff wont load for aol. but still to this day, i have only managed to get that site to open twice with internet explorer. i have to use the AOHell browser to view it usually. i did go to the site, and made a username, and i have walked off and stayed connected for more than 5 or six hours. without anyone in the room even. so, i dont think i am going to have much to help with anytime soon, although the voluteer i spoke with said that alot of the people who go to that site have your same problem. he also said the people who run the server say it isnt them doing it, and he said the moderators for that chat room arent doing it. so i dont know who is at fualt here....

but it worked fine for me, other than the fact i have to go to it with AOHell.

i will keep trying, since i go there now...

~BoB~

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could you walk me through how what using a different server is.............and how I do that please.
Remember I need simple instructions, but I do listen carefully and am very good at following.

If you can stay connected for as long as 5 -6 hours, even that much would be a help.

Thanks alot,
Postcard :winkgrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.