Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, there was a guy the better part of a year ago who had this same problem and nobody could help him cause nobody really understood what was going on.
essentially, there's a picture that i accidentally downloaded from kazaa that somehow really isn't a picture at all. it isn't anything at all really. it doesn't seem to exist whatsoever. it has a jpeg extension, as well as an extremely long name (a list of a bunch of keywords, of course) which incidentally seem to exceed by one character the maximum number of letters allowed in a file name. (i tried to create another file of the same name and place it in the folder to overwrite the existing one, but to no avail - i couldn't put enough letters). when right clicking on it to try to delete it, i find there is in fact, no delete option. there are only open, print with acdsee, open, pint, preview, rotate clockwise, rotate counter clockwise, set as desktop background, upload using cuteftp, open with, and send to. pressing the delete key when it's selected has no effect: no error message or warning or anything. simply nothing happens. same thing when trying to drag it into the recycle bin. trying to delete the file using a program like sure delete, even after selecting it from a browser window to add to the delete queue, it tells me "said file does not exist" DOES NOT EXIST. this is after i selected the file from the selct file(s) browser dialogue within the sure delete program itself. so this tells me something extremely screwy is going on. i get a similar result when trying to delete the file in dos mode or in safe mode. some programmer will have to tell me what's going on here because i'm absolutely clueless. it's only a few hundred bytes too. it seems like only the filename exists on the hard drive, and nothing else. there doesn't seem to be any data to which the filename and link refer. somebody help!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

finally something i know how to fix....

take all the files in your download folder, and move them to a safe place.

tell the machine to reboot in dos mode.

use the cd command to get yourself into the shared folder in question.

it should only have the one file in it (cos you moved the rest right?)

delete *.*

that should do it, then put the rest of the stuff back into the shared folder in question.

dos can still kill this file even though windows 98 cant run commands on a filename this long.

enjoy!

P.S. this will usually work to kill any file that windows cant touch.

~BoB~

·
Global Moderator
51,455 Posts
Telling an XP machine to reboot in DOS mode is pretty difficult. :D If he's using the FAT32 filesystem for this volume, he could boot from a DOS floppy, but with NTFS, that's not possible.

The way you may be able to delete this file is to boot the XP CD and use the recovery console to delete it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could try the above DOS method in Windows. Just copy all files except the offender to another folder and then delete the folder which now contains just the offending file. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yes, if you notice, i am running xp and therefore cannot restart in dos. nor could i do anything using the crappy command prompt that comes with it. also, previous attempts to try to delete the folder containing the file were unsuccessful. it pops up with an error message really quickly which goes away before i can read it. anybody else have any ideas?

oh and i really have no idea how to run the recovery console from the xp cd. it's sort of like a dos prompt but sort of not...

·
Global Moderator
51,455 Posts
Boot the XP CD, and follow the prompts, it'll get to a point where it asks what you want to do, and you get a choice of a command prompt.

Sorry I don't remember the exact sequence, I rarely do this, and my mind is going. :D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

my mind is going also.

thats why i didnt think about this being an XP machine.

i would assume that the boot disk for xp and its console could do this. the problem i have always seen with files with 256 character names is the del command doesnt touch these files, but the del *.* command will.

i am not sure if xp has any way to run the del *.* command, but if it does, this may do it.

~BoB~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well if you noticed i had already tried using sure delete and nothing happened. but when you mentioned it, i thought i might be able to find a loophole around this problem by adding the entire folder to sure delete, and it seems like it finally worked. thanks anyway though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.