Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My Spec is:

Asus K8VSE Deluxe Motherboard (Bios Rev. 1004)
AMD64 3000+
Geil 512MB 3200DDRAM @CAS2.5
ATI Radeon 7500 AGP4x Graphics Card
580Watt PSU
NEC DVDRW
Floppy
Samsung Spinpoint 200GB SATA HDD
(Nothing has been overclocked)

Everytime I turn on my computer the screen goes back to the Bios after beeping a couple of times and says Overclocking Failed! I haven't overclocked anything so I don't understand why this is appearing?

The most annoying problem is that I have Windows XP Pro SP2 installed and as soon as it gets to the windows loading screen, the computer reboots. Sometimes there is a glimpse of a blue error screen and then it reboots. After the reboot the windows startup failure screen appears and gives me the option of going into saffe mode. This also casuse the computer to reboot when safe mode is selected. :cry:

Can anyone help. I understand that I can repair the Windows XP installation but surely the same kind of thing is likely to happen again if it happened for no particular reason in the first place. Nothing has been installed on Windows XP either, other than a few drivers for the devices and etrust EZ Antivirus 2005. Also could the Overclocking failure screen have anything to do with this problem?

Thirsty for any information. Any help is much appriciated

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

This could be caused by more than one problem. Where would I start?

The first thing I would check if this does not help, is to make sure that your Heatsink and CPU are clamped down tightly. The new ones are very difficult to snap in, so check that area.

Second, if the clamp is down correctly, then I would clear the cmos and set the BIOS to defaults when it comes back up.

Third, what BIOS version do you have. Many of the newer boards need to have the BIOS updated to work properly with faster processors.

If these do not help, post back and we will take another look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried and Failed

Thanks for the advise. I have BIOS version 1004 which is fine for the processor and other hardware I am running so I really don't want to upgrade to the latest (1007) as I have ruined a motherboard with a bad BIOS update before.

I have also checked the heatsink and fan but there is no shifting either of them. They are down tight. I have also tried clearing the BIOS and loading defaults but it still brings up the same message and windows still reboots before loading. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise but still hasn't solved the problem

Unfortunately that still hasn't worked. Also the last time I switched the computer on it didn't come up with th overclocking error for a change.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
try going in your bios
take the memory timing off of spd [auto]
and relax the timmings manually to maybe 3-4-4-8
then see if you can get a sucessfull boot
post back

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. That doesn't seem to work either, although I did manage to crash my machine like that. Any more ideas possibly?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.