Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly my problem:
I currently have 2 WD Raptor drives in a striped raid on the Promise controller and 1 IDE drive on the Promise as well. They have been working fine for over a year now. I recently bought 2 WD Caviar SE 250GB drives. I wish to do a parity raid with them and my first choice was to put them on the VIA controller as changing the Promise one that already works didn't seem like a good idea.

I went to the BIOS and enabled the onboard SATA bootrom (which is the VIA chip) and rebooted. Now the behaviour becomes a little eratic, but some times if I go into the setup utility of the VIA chip it sees both drives fine, I can create the RAID and reboot, but then on reboot it either says there is no proper boot device (I have checked that my promise raid is in fact the first boot device) or that the raid on the VIA chip is broken. Going into the VIA utility again shows the one drive to be random sizes or even gets the ID wrong.

Destroying the raid and trying to boot with no raid config and just both drives connected also doesn't work as the via controller keeps on insisting that the raid is still active but broken. This is not what I want to do anyway, but I tried it as part of my troubleshooting.

Is there any clear solution to this problem that anyone knows of?
Might it be that the boot partition has to be on the VIA chip if BOTH raid controllers are enabled?
Please help, I am clutching at straws at the moment...

Promise controller is in striped raid with 2 WD Raptor drives with WinXP on it.
IDE drive is connected to Promise IDE connector.
Both controllers are enabled in the BIOS and the Promise is set to RAID.
The 2 WD Caviar drives are connected to the VIA SATA connections.

Cheers

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.