Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a laptop thats needs to be reformated so if i reformat it will i have to install all my drives again? or what do i do cause i need to reformat my comp its running slow now :(

· Registered
6,672 Posts
Hi bloodv4mp1re !

What do you mean by install all your drives again ?

Formating a drive erases all the data that's on it. So if you have any personal/valuable data you'll need to back it up on an external drive or on CD's/DVD's before you format your drive. Once the drive is formated you'll need to reinstall Windows from scratch so make sure you've got an XP install CD or a recovery CD. You must use the CD that came with the laptop, if you got no CD with it then read further. Once Windows is reinstalled you may have to reinstall the drivers for your hardware so it's better to download those drivers in advance on the manufacturer's website and save them to a CD. Usually laptops come with a recovery CD which already has all the drivers included so that step may not be needed. Finally you'll have to reinstall all your programs and copy your personal data back.

If you got no install disks when you bought your laptop it probably means that there's some restore or recovery partition on the hard drive. In that case you either have to create the recovery CD's yourself using some software that came preinstalled on the laptop or look for some message at startup telling you which key to press to start the recovery. What's the laptop brand and model ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.