Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after I received the Dreaded BSOD which any one of us has received at one time or another accompanied by a Memory Dump Notification I decided to do something about it rather than pray and hope it would not happen again only to ignore it after a month and have it happen again. This Morning I got the Pro Version and it's doing a very through scan right now. I can't risk My Rig on some malware crap or worse a full blown killer virus. It's a pretty good program for the money. I got a one year subscription with 20% Off with an extra six months added for less than $50 Canadian. Pretty good deal considering what's being safeguarded. Reason for this thread is to ask people about the reliability of this product and the whole deal with the Boot Sector. I realize that there were other programs out there that were not scanning the Boot Sector. I was told that AVG was one of those products. Not too sure how accurate that is but anyway. No more risks for me. Anyone got there master list of what they would consider the best AV Suite or standalone program for them.

Thanks

Jones

· Registered
2,976 Posts
Well I have been using Avast for a couple of years now and I'm pretty satisfied with it. It is fast, simple, unobtrusive, and very effective in it's function. Although there was an update today that is causing problems. In almost every program that I run Avast finds this Win32:Delf-MZG trojan. A minor problem that will be fixed soon enough.

· Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Very Much for the reply. Yeah I got really sick of getting the BSOD when I initialized the Root-kit scan through AVG. I thought that perhaps the AV program itself was faulty so I decided no to take any risks with my system since it was very expensive to build and I made sure to use all high end components to make it and I just don't want to take any chances. Plus My Wife has over 2000 pics on here as well as very valuable video that has since gone to dvd for back up. What I really want to do is get another HDD for Back-up purposes (prehaps removeable) and use that for backing up everything, wipe all my drives and intall windows 7 which I just got the Ultimate 64 bit version from my work through a discount system for less than $30 ($47.50 witrh shipping and tax). I wanted to try a dual boot but I have two 750 G HDD in Raid 0 which I am not too sure how to set up when the disks are in that format. Right now Avast is scanning my system and has been for over 13 hours now. I currently have 375 gigs of stuff on my system including video, pics games and other stuff. After the scan a defrag will be done and then I will be setting the schedules for future maintenance.

Jones

· TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
51,795 Posts
Although there was an update today that is causing problems. In almost every program that I run Avast finds this Win32:Delf-MZG trojan. A minor problem that will be fixed soon enough.
A bit more than minor for those with less experience. :sayyes:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23428578-False-positive-in-Avast-or-is-it-real

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51623.0

but fixed, apparently.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51647.0

Can you confirm this is fixed now, lorjack?

· Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I am on the Avast Forum and they were remarking at how the update had been a little faulty and was reporting legitimate programs at trojans and other problems. Also I had actually read in this forum that Avast had boot sector scanning but then found out that it's only for 32 bit.

Jones

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.