Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Avoid them like the clap. I bought a 120 GB drive about two years ago. It worked fine for the first couple weeks. I needed some more drive space for another project I was building so I purchased two 200 GB drives about a month after I purchased the first 120. In the past week, the 120 has failed and one of the 200s have failed. I figure in the next couple of months or so the other 200 will fail as well.

I know some of you are probably chuckling; buy cheap parts get bad quality. And you are right, garbage in = garbage out. I am simply posting a warning to all of you who are on a budget and look for good deals. MDT drives may seem like a fairly good deal at first but in the long run they're not worth crap.

-Lydokane-

BTW: This has nothing to do with an earlier thread I started about a removeable hard drive. The removable drive from my earlier thread is a WD.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
MDT drives or 'Magnetic Data Technology' drives are just refurbished hard drives. I have seen a bunch of 'Maxtor' Clones with MDT lables on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I registered just to say that MDT drives aren't bad at all (or at least aren't all bad), I bought a 100gig drive and it outlasted 2 Maxtors of mine, its my main backup drive. I'm sorry you had bad experience with them and I think they have a bad rep but mine has lasted over 3 and a half years without a single problem, so I recommend not generalizing over MDT drives, maybe you got a bad lot of them. I'm not even sure they're still in business anymore, but mine is flawless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 160GB and 250GB SATA hard-drives I bought from MDT are labelled "MDT re-certified" drives. In fact, they are Western Digital WD1600JS and WD2500JS, re-flashed with a new code and showing a new manufacturing date sticker; one of the 250GB failed during format and reverted to "WD" code. I believe that MDT re-manufacture drives e.g. WD drives; calling these "re-certified" drives "white-box drives" is somehow mis-leading. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
I registered here just to throw in my MDT opinion. I bought 4 of them over the last couple years. Each one died quickly. When you add the cost and time involved in returning one for refund or exchange it simply just isn't worth the hassle. I would have been way ahead of the game by just buying a new major brand drive from the start. I will say, however, that the last one I RMA'd came back as a re-branded Western Digital which is working very nice. But even if some of them are good drives it's still a huge gamble. I'd stay away from them unless they're practically giving them away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.