Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I'm new on this forum and I need some help... fast. Heres a brief (OK mabye a bit verbose) story of what the heck is happening to my computer.
K So, I go one day and install a new video card, taking my old one out. You see the old one was a built in video card and I'm starting to have problems with my new Geforce 2 card now. Well anyways, I've tried several things, but I don't think I can replace my Motherboard quite yet. My one major problem right now though is this....
When I'm playing movies, everything but the AVIs will have sound. Its wierd. I can play Mpegs and MPgs and realvideos, but I can't seem to play WMV or others like that with sound. I've gone looking for codecs and replaced my Windows Media player but it isn't working and I don't have sound. Another thing. I supposably have a conflict with a System board extenstion for PnP BIOS but when I go into the resourses and search for a conflict, there is none. I'm not sure, but I don't think I should have this device because I already have a System board. Any thoughts on how to get rid of it??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
yeah, you have to make sure your on-board vid card is disabled in your bios. Make sure it is and let us know. And as always welcome to the board and come again. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've disable the BIOS but I'm still having problems. I also now have a problem where i can't even flash my BIOS I have a BIOS thats like 3 years old now, which probably isn't helping. I've started converting the AVIs to MPEGs and they work now, so mabye I just have to do that.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
what do you mean you can flash your bios???

down load it run it on the systme it creates a boot disk ....then boot to it follow the prompts and when its done ...you have flashed your bios....

Sorry if I misunderstood you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I now can't get into DOS... at all.... I don't know what it is but when booting from the disk it says somthing like Invalid Boot disk and when I try to restart DOS through Windows, the computer basically locks up. I tried shutting it down and getting through that way but it doesn't seem to work. I've now come to the conclusion that I'm either missing a vital windows file or there is a virus somewhere on my computer. But I've run several different virus protection programs and they've all come up negative. There is also a new problem: Windows won't let me access DOS through the actual window. It says I don't have enough memory. But I have 760Mb of RAM. Could this be fault RAM or is this the Windows error I've been hearing about, the one where Windows 95-98 can't actually handle large amounts of RAM. Is there any free RAM managers out there?? Please Help!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
first things first, i think i know exactly whats wrong. first, thats not how you flash the bios, to flash the bios you pull the cmos battery out. second, if your vid card had conflict it shouldnt show video on the graphics card straight up, third you said its 3years old, do a search for bios updates. this bios is most likely out of date and needs to be up to date.

wow i just realized this post is freakin 5years old. google needs to fix there searches to more up-to-date searches.:upset:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.