Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know whether to classify this as Hardware or Software, but seems more softy orientated, so, my problem:

I'm listening to music and it's "Jumping" every half a second or so, I've noticed that the mouse seems to lag at the exact same time when the sound does, also, it accesses the HDD at the same time too, my first thoughts were buffering problems, but if I stop the song and start it again it's fine, but then if I minimize WinAmp it starts the lag again, the lag doesn't show up if I start playing the song when WinAmp is already minimized, but it begins on the next song for some reason.
It seems to start half-way through some songs too, but then it'll disappear as if it was normal HDD activity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Spikes"

The CPU isn't spiking all too much, it seems to be mainly coming from FireFox for some reason, but even still, it's only 2-10% utilisation but all together it's only usually 20-50%, but it seems fine, sometimes it'll spike to the 70s but I can never find the offending process, the whole thing seems to have fixed itself now, could have just been that the CPU was slightly overheated, but i'll keep watch for anything out of the ordinary, i'll also try and get it to present the lag again...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T3h th1ng

It's started doing the little annoying hiccup, but none of the processes seem to get much higher than 10-15%, which I find weird, it all seems fine in TaskManager, the thing I find weird is, sometimes it happens in the songs sometimes it doesn't, but I know it's not the songs themselves, cause they play fine of my MP3 player, and they were playing fine a few days ago,could it be that I switched back my CD-RW and DVD-RAM drives back to DMA mode? I put them in PIO so I could get Command And Conquer: The First Decade installed, this was recommended in the help files and seemed to get the installer to work, at the sacrifice of speed, but putting it back into DMA has stopped my from burning discs now >_<, but thats for another day >_>

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
what are your vitural memeroy settings? i have found that if it is not set to let windows control the vm setting, audio and video playback can get choppy like you said yours is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorted

I got it fixed now, I think it was because I was using Windows Compression to free some space >_>, it only lags now when it's processing info, but strangely enough it lags when I load a website too, and the Pagefile size is set to be controlled by Windows too, only thing I need to know now is, is there a way to cut 20Gigs from my Linux partition and merge it with my existing NTFS partition without losing files from either, the Linux partition isn't anywhere near full, so I suppose I could clip some off it easily, but what program should I use to do it? would The Ultimate Boot cd have the right tools?, which leads me to the next problem >_< My disc drive doesn't like writing in DMA mode, but will right fine as long as I'm under 4x in PIO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed

I got the problem fixed now, my HDD had went into PIO mode, I didn't bother checking to see if it had, but it did, damn dirty power outages >_<, you can close and/or delete this thread now, or you can keep it to mock my silly-ness, either way I got it fixed ^_^ Thanks for your help

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Threads serve at least two purposes. The first, most obvious is to assist the OP in solving their problem. The second is to (one hopes) remain as a record of a problem (and again one hopes) it's solution so that perhaps someone else may be able to derive benefit of someone else's experiences.

I suppose another value is that we (certainly myself, at least) that troll these threads get the value of the information, not necessarily as a means of solving an immediate problem, but as a general education for future problems.

This is not documented very well here, the idea of a "Big Picture", and I sometimes think it should be. Some kind of "ettiquete" where an OP (that is probably inexperienced in such matters) could read a stickie and get a sense of what the whole "karma" thing is like.

I think most people (here) share this belief; that the way one "pays back" for getting (free) help (of sometimes varying quality) is to document their solution at the end of the thread for posterity, a means of "paying forward".

I am curious as to how "Power Outages" cased the HD to switch to PIO mode, or if it was done delibarately what the intent was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.