Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Compaq 5340 computer 450mhz PII. I have the maximum amount of RAM installed. When playing many games the vidoe becomes quite jerky and makes it rather diffucult to play. Any ideas on what causes this, it's a real pain!:upset: It's got a rather small hard drive that's at about 90% capacity. My resource meter right now says I'm at 68%. Please help me speed this machine up:confused:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ok. I believe the 5340 had an on board vid card that basically sucked. It doesn't have an AGP slot so the only option is to get a good PCI vid card (I think matrox offered the g400 in pci).

Be careful when selecting a hard drive for that one. Contact HP tech support (they own compaq now) and make them give you a list of compatable hard drives. I just tried to navagate their new site and it sent me in circles. I'll try other options and if you don't have it solved by then I'll certainly write back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I can't seem to find the Matrox G400 in PCI, all I could find was a 4 meg Millenium II Matrox card. Is that any good, it was only $15 so if it's any good I'll buy it.
Haven't looked into the hard drive yet. They aren't too expensive anymore either.

·
Registered
852 Posts
OOh, 4 megs won't even play allot of modern games. It is a fine card and for 15.00 I would keep it around for testing stuff out.

Here's a product link but I'm sure you can find a similar product on e-bay for about 30% of the price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, got the new video card you suggested, beautiful!!!!! Now I need to get the new hard drive, but as was mentioned the new Compaq site is terrible!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.