Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus, The Conversation Pit
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially I thought the battery was going because for the last couple of days it's been having a hard time turning over. Now it doesn't do anything when I turn the key. But I don't think it is the battery because everything has power, the radio works and the headlights are really bright.
I'm thinking it's either the starter of the cylinoid but I want to know if it's possibly something else. :4-dontkno

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i see you are still online.

let's get right on top of this one.

does it click? anything at all?

right off, it sounds like a bad solonoid, but could be a bad ignition switch as well.

as it was starting to mess up, what exactly would it do, turn slow, or just sometimes not turn till you turned the key dozens of times?

·
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is absolutely no click. When it did start it turned over immediatly with the first turn of the key. It just seemed to get slower with each day that went by until now.

So basically it just turned slow.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
wow, and now no click at all....

hmm, when you turn the key to the start position, do the lights dim out?

if you feel brave, you can take a screwdriver and carefully touch the 2 large contacts on the solonoid and see if it turns.

if it does, then you might want to see if there is a key signal coming to the solonoid, do this with a test meter, and ground it to the engine, and then connect the meter or test light to the tiny terminal on the solonoid, and then set the meter in a place you will be able to see it, and turn the key and make sure a signal is making it there.

a test light is a better indicator of the quality of the connection, and can show you if there is a fault when load is applied.

if there is a signal to this terminal, and the starter turns when you cross it's terminals manually, then it's a bad solonoid. (which is usually sold only as part of the starter, but on an amc/jeep, you might luck out, since dodge loved removable solonoids.)

·
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife is here to pick me up so I'll have to figure this out later. Thanks for your help so far.

hmm, when you turn the key to the start position, do the lights dim out? No

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,300 Posts
SFS, what year and engine is your Jeep?

·
5,300 Posts
Researching....

·
5,300 Posts
SFS, I looked here at work at that starter...the solenoid is detachable but we had no listing on it...pull the starter and have it tested at the local parts store.

·
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey MT Thank you for all your help. I did take out the starter and had it checked. That was the problem so for $114.99 my Jeep is back on the road. :smile:

·
5,300 Posts
That's not a bad price!
Glad that got you back on the road! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.