Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 5.2L and a D44 rear end

Started out with a constant but clear almost jet engine like sound coming from the back of the truck. I took it to a mechanic to get an idea and he gave me a $1,000 est. to rebuild the rear diff. saying it was a shot wheel bearing. After getting it back, the noise is now twice as loud and it's not the only problem.

I'm getting wheel hop that's accompanied with a low squeal sound when making sharp turns. When in reverse, it just feels like the brakes are being held down because the wheels simply don't want to move. I've also had the tires squeal when pulling into a parking space - very slow speed.

Two questions..

1. Fixing the rear diff.; how difficult of a job is that? I can purchase the parts far cheaper and I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I have no experience in that area.

2. The front end noise and wheel hop; is the transfer case really the only thing to look at as a cause?

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
13,946 Posts
Rebuilding a differential can either be easy or hard as hell, depends on how well you can understand the instructions you get. I'm no expert, but I do know that there are 2 bearings on each axle one inner and one outer, replace both if you rebuild it yourself.
Try here:
http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=198397
Hope it helps.
Is it a LSD, or a locker in the differential?
As for your second question,no the transfer case is NOT the only thing to check, you have a differential up there too, check the transfer case, front differential front drive shaft, U joints, and anything else that drive line related.

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
Concerning the first question.
Many times if you remove and replace the spider gears they will make a tremendous amount of noise.

I dont know the exact specs of the current Jeep differential.
I do know if it is like the old GM differentials the inner spider gear is not supported when the axle is pulled, and if not careful will allow the gear fall and then the gears wont be in the same correlation.
I know that mathimatically the smaller gears shouldnt ride in the same spot on the ring gear but they do.
I have found that if you rebuild a differential it is best to replace the 4 gears as it is basically impossible to get the into the same posistion.

When you drive the Jeep can you tell where the noise is coming from?
Its hard to tell but does it seem to be from near the brake or the center of the truck?
If you step on the brake gently can you feel any indication of it?
Can you take a passenger and can they tell if it is innet or outer?
The reason I ask is possibly they didnt get the bearing correctly.

Any possible additional info could prove to be helpful
Pat

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.