Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've tried reinstalling Jedi Academy 2-3 times now, to no avail, first time I forgot to try updating, but the next two I updated when I did it, with no new results, if I launch it from the launcher, rather than going straight for the EXE it loads more stuff than the EXE, but still crashes, I don't know why, my system meets all specs, speaking of specs, heres mine:
PSU:Don't know =/
Mobo: MSI MS-6511
CPU:AMD Athlon 1300MHz (Codenamed: Thunderbird)
RAM:512MB 2x256MB Samsung M3 and Micron Technologies
Video Card: GeForce 6200 256MB AGP 4x (Mobo limitation)
HDD: Seagate 80GB (1348MB free on NTFS partiton, has Linux on it too)
OS: Apparently Windows XP, but I think it's some sort of merge of NT and XP >_>

Nothing is overclocked, but I think the CPU might be underclocked for it's own safety, it's running at 81C constantly(178F) the fanspeed is roughly 4300RPM

If you need anymore info ask me >_>

EDIT: My comp only has two fans, one on the GPU and one on the CPU Xp I'm gonna get some more off my uncle at some point >_>

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Firstly, definitely get some fans into that system! You need at least two case fans - one at the front or side, drawing cool air in, and one at the top or back, sucking hot air out.

Run through the steps under "Common Game Issues" in my signature, and post back with results.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Go to Start > Run > dxdiag. What does it say for Operating System?

Your system meets the game's minimum requirements, but you have a problem with the CPU temperature and free hard drive space. Are the CPU and graphics fans spinning and free of dust?

You need to fit 2 case fans, one at the front pulling cool air in and one at the back blowing warm air out. Also, reapply some thermal compound to the CPU. Instructions here.

Windows needs at least 10% free hard drive space to run efficiently, so for an 80gb drive you would need about 8gb free space. Try removing any unnecessary programs and files, and run Defrag. As you only have 1.3gb free space, this is not enough to install the game.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steps taken

I've already tried most of the steps in the Common Game Issues thread, to no avail, I should have mentioned that in my last post, I'll delete any programs that I never use to free up some space, I've been wondering, do you know of any tools that would let me trim some of my Linux partition off and give it to the NTFS partition? cause I seem to use 40Gigs veeerry fast, I have one thing to note though, today is strange, my processor is only running at 77C instead of it's usual 81C, but anyways, Thanks for your help, i'll go delete some of the stuff now

P.S. I took a look in the case again, there's no-where to put a front/side case-fan, only a rear fan, should I make space for a side fan with a saw? >_>, also, in DXDiag, it says Windows XP Home edition 5.1 (Build 2600) which I think is right, but The error reporting tool claims my system is NT, I might just do a clean install, cause one time this comp claimed ntdll.dll was corrupted >_> or some other system DLL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Partition

I forgot to mention, my HDD has been partitioned into two 40Gig parts, one for Linux, one for Windows, thats why I want to cut 20Gigs off the Linux partition and merge it with the NTFS one >_>

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tools

I thought I would have to use a boot CD, like The Ultimate Boot CD or something >_>, which would be a problem to me, because my computer Blue screens if I try to write in DMA, and PIO takes forever =( I deleted a lot of files and stuff off my HDD, now i've got about 6Gigs free, I'm gonna compress all my music files using the Windows tool, free up a bit more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.