Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, this is an odd question.

someone i know (an adult over 18) owns a machine. it is theirs to do with as they please. they bought it, and they are the only one who uses it. now, it seems that their partner (not spouse, as they arent married) has added some software to keep track of everything they type, so as to spy on them. if they were married, then it would be an issue of common ownership, but that isnt the case. this software is showing up when ad-aware is used, but it does not have the power to disable it. and this person does not feel it is right that their lover is spying on what they say online. neither do i, as being in a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship gives no rights to do this.

is there a way to find out how to disable a logging data mining program? one that doesnt show up in the task manager, or in the process list, and one that isnt showing up on the hard disk.

it is obvious that there is 23 megs worth of space that is used on the hard disk, but doesnt show up when the hard disk is browsed. somewhere in this hard disk there is a folder or a file taking up that space, and it is hidden, and telling the machine to show hidden files isnt helping. this type of software is illegal to be used in a situation like this, and it needs to be removed now.

can anyone tell me how to find and disable hidden spy programs (not spyware, but a hidden spy program) that send the info to the other person?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

~BoB~

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Have you tried spybot instead of Adaware? Also, if adaware shows the name of the spy program, post it since there are probably removal instructions online.

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
Are you 100% sure they have something on there and it's not just the person spying browsing temp files. I've even used keycatchers for things like this. I just feel like if there was something on there it would stick out like a sore thumb.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill have to ask them for the name of the process that ad-aware found. as for their being instructions for removal, they cant seem to find any documentation on it. and i tried spybot on it as well, and it found some problems and fixed them (or so it said)

it could be a keystroke logger, although i dont know much about them.

anyways, ill try to get more info soon

~BoB~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.