Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. This problem is killing me. I'm a mechanic by trade (industrial equipment) but this has me stumped. It starts up fine, runs fine, but as soon as it either runs for about 10 seconds or I open the choke it dies.

I first drained all the gas and replaced it with new gas. Then I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. Then I replaced the spark plugs. Then I replaced the fuel filter and pump again with real John Deere brand since I got the first ones from Amazon.

Nothing has worked at all. No improvement or change in symptoms.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
runs for about 10 seconds or I open the choke it dies.
You probably need to clean out your carburetor. I had to clean a Kawasaki 2-cylinder engine's carb just the other day because the lawn tractor had set too long with ethanol gas in it. I use a set of tiny drill bits and welding tip cleaners but any small wire will usually suffice. Of course, you will need spray carb cleaner too. There's really not all that much in a small-engine carburetor that needs cleaned. The float bowl needle valve port, the main jet and nozzle, and the pilot jet are about it. The problem is that if one of the small passageways in the carb body is completely corroded shut by ethanol gas then the carb is usually toast. You will need an exact-sized flat-bladed screwdriver to remove the main jet or you are going to damage the threads and oftentimes you will need a thin open-ended wrench to get off the float bowl if there's an attached fuel shutoff solenoid. You can either buy these or do what I do and just grind down an old one to fit. Be careful not to damage gaskets when removing or replacing the carb or you will need new ones.

Aftermarket carb replacements are only $25 bucks and another option.

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
14,072 Posts
A generic carb from God knows where is ok, it might last forever, it might now, I'm ordered a $35 carb fporm my chainsay from China, and so far so good

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I ordered a $35 carb from China, and so far so good
I still break down and clean carbs, mostly for the fun of it, but if they need parts and I don't have the commonly-used ones on hand I'll just buy a replacement carb as the price is generally less than a carb kit would be.

Replacement carbs are oftentimes indistinguishable from OEM ones and someone once explained to me why this is so. Chinese companies that are competing for an OEM contract will tool up to produce a carb and if they fail to get the contract will then go ahead and make a run of them anyway to sell as aftermarket parts. I've got a $9.00 aftermarket carb on my Craftsman edger and an $11.00 one on my Snapper riding mower that haven't given me any problems at all. I didn't even have to play shipping for them.

I recently cleaned my John Deere's Kawasaki engine's carb because it only took an hour and I was right in the middle of mowing when the engine started surging. The replacement was only $24.00 though. I don't really envision having any more problems with the carb though as long as I use ethanol-free gas. When gas prices went up I went over to the cheaper stuff and immediately regretted it.

The only carb I've rebuilt in the past few years using a full rebuild kit was one for a '50 Desoto. The kit alone was $55 and I still had to fabricate a couple of parts. However, I got the old car starting right up and purring like a kitten. I had fun working on that old car over the years but couldn't afford to buy it from my brother and sister after Dad died. Dad always liked that old car because he said that a rich kid in his senior class had one and he swore that he'd get one too some day. It only took him 50 years.

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
14,072 Posts
Yea I as gona rebuild it, but the carb seal kit was $20, and new carb was $8.98 and came with a new air filter and some piece I have no idea ahat it goes on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts