Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to view some maps on a web site and received this message:
'Your browser is not configured to show Java 1.1 applets to view this map'
What does this mean, and how do I configure my browser?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

Which browser do you have?

You need to have Java SE Runtime installed aswell as enabling Java applets to run in your browser settings.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi chequer

Here's a link to a site that can walk you through all the configuration possibilities --- http://www.javatester.org/configuring.html

That same site has tabs for topics that help you find what Java version you have on your computer, or if you don't have a version you need - there are links to where you can download it, and they have instructions on how to install it (very easy! -- just run it's installer program).

If you are running IE7, Java applets will often bring up a message up near the IE7 toolbar = as a security precaution, IE7 prompts for you to Allow or Deny the script to install and run (true also for Active X controls).

Best of luck
. . . Gary

[ ... and Hi Kalim -- I think we were typing replies at about the same time, but my hands are getting a little slower each year :) ]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

Which browser do you have?

You need to have Java SE Runtime installed aswell as enabling Java applets to run in your browser settings.
Internet Explorer 6.0
Please do not reply before Sunday 7th. Jan 2007 as I am going on satellite broadband and will have to change my profile's email address

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi chequer

Here's a link to a site that can walk you through all the configuration possibilities --- http://www.javatester.org/configuring.html

That same site has tabs for topics that help you find what Java version you have on your computer, or if you don't have a version you need - there are links to where you can download it, and they have instructions on how to install it (very easy! -- just run it's installer program).

If you are running IE7, Java applets will often bring up a message up near the IE7 toolbar = as a security precaution, IE7 prompts for you to Allow or Deny the script to install and run (true also for Active X controls).

Best of luck
. . . Gary

[ ... and Hi Kalim -- I think we were typing replies at about the same time, but my hands are getting a little slower each year :) ]
Thanks Gary,
I am using IE6.0
I'll have a look at the web site

Please do not reply before Sunday 7th. Jan 2007 as I am going on satellite broadband and will have to change my profile's email address

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi chequer

Best of luck
. . . Gary
Gary,
I went to the configuration site as you suggested but when I got as far as, instruction 2, on the Configuration page,
( 2. Select the Advanced tab and scroll down to " Java (Sun)" ), there was no " Java (Sun)" listed.
I also tried to find the version I have by the DOS method, but I have no idea how to open the a.k.a command from the C:/Windows\System32> prompt
I don’t even know how to find out if I have any version of Java Script on my computer.
I printed all my Advanced setting options, and would have liked to have you check them, but as they fill A full A4 page I didn't know if they could be posted on the forum. ( can they )?
Would you mind if I sent them as a private message if I can't post them on the Forum?
Do not reply before Sun 7/01.2007 as I have to change 'My Profile's' email address..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem was that I didn't have Java Script installed.
I have now installed Java Sun JRE 1.5.0_10 and everything now is OK

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I would've (I'm sure Gary would too) told you that after your last post, but you made it clear to not reply till 7th. Anyway, glad you got sorted. :grin:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would've (I'm sure Gary would too) told you that after your last post, but you made it clear to not reply till 7th. Anyway, glad you got sorted. :grin:
Kalim,
I don't know what you mean by stating I didn' reply until the 7th. ( 7th of when? )
Today my date is only 5/01/2007, yours, I presume, may be 4/01/2007
Any how I replied to you on 4th. Jan 2007 my time.
As you may have guessed I am not all that familiar with Forums or computers and it took me a while to find out if I had Java installed.
Please don't reply until Sunday, two days time, as I am having satellite broadband installed at 1500hrs Sth. Australian time and as I will get a new Email address I will not be able to update My Profile's email address until tomorrow, 6th. Jan 2007 my time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.