Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

This is my first post in this forum so hello!

Title was difficult to put succinctly so I will describe the problems I'm having.

I recently did a complete re-instal of XP Pro. I wiped all hard drives, installed a new one, physically cleaned inside of PC with air, resat all cards, upgraded to SP3 for first time, installed software slowly and carefully and installed Avira Antivirus, Agnitum Outpost Firewall (disabled Windows Firewall first) and also installed Spybot S&D.

So, I am having various problems that I've never had before:

1. Startup is quite slow - this could be to do with firewall and anti-virus loading up

2. If I have any USB external drives attached and on, the boot will hang

3. My system tray lacks several icons that should be there; volume control, anti-virus

4. Strange things with right-clicking causing system crash - e.g. I grabbed 3 photos off desktop, dropped them onto bin and right-clicked right away to empty bin - system hung and I had to hard crash out and restart PC

5. When I open my new internal second HD, it takes ages to display all the items (a lot of videos) slowly writing out all their dimensions down a list. If I try any right click actions whilst it's doing this, the system hangs

6. Browsers - I use Firefox, have the new v3 installed, I installed latest Java and Flash but have problems with some sites. One relies on Java for its online tutorial I need but all I get is a blank white screen with 'done' in the bottom left corner. I tried watching a video demo on Microsoft's site and it said to install Flash which I already had; the demo just wouldn't play and again sat there idle with 'done' in the corner. Facebook is soooo slow... and as of today, I can't share links, it takes ages, twirls around and around then says, 'done' but nothing has happened.

I searched the forums for similar, and read advice to remove Java and re-install and I got this bad looking message (screen shot included) Any microsft experts know what that might mean?

PS - I haver tried ALL these things with IE and get same problems. I also re-installed Firefox to no avail...

Something is definitely up!

Thanks

Malthus101
London, UK

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

I tried what you said. It found nothing on the C drive or internal second drive.

It found three things on the external USB archive drive which I deleted but I don't think they were anything much.

I tried to re-intsall Java and got the same message that I posted previously - did you check out the screen grab I attached? I don't think that is malware related, something is screwed up with the OS I think... Any Microsoft experts out there who can understand what these error messages mean?

Thanks

Malthus101

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.