Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a pretty serious problem on my hands here.

This morning, I heard a cracking noise coming from around my desk. It sounded like snapping plastic, but my parents passed it off as something to do with our unpredictable electrical outlets. Later, when I went to open the CD-RW drive to put a disk in, it wouldn't open far enough to even see what disk was in, but enough so that the computer couldn't read the disk. Well, I figured out one of my game disks was still in there, and judging by the rattling noise when I tip my computer even slightly...then that snapping noise I heard was my game disk, snapping inside the drive. At the time, the drive was not running, nor was the game, and it hadn't been on for three or four hours. I've tried prying open the drive, but to no avail.

The disk inside is (If it holds any relevance) Command & Conquer Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge. It's about one to two years old, moderately scratched from being used a lot, and had only been dropped once or twice from a relatively low height (My desk...and I always checked the disk for cracks.)

The computer is an eMachines T4080, is about seven months old, and runs on a Pentium IV. About two days ago, I had a new video card installed, if it means anything at all. The disk drive is either 40x or 60x.

So, can anybody help me, or point me onto the path of help?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
There might be on the front of the drive what looks like a small hole. This is the manual eject, and if you poke a paper clip or something into it the drive might open enough to get your disk out. Unfortunately, it sounds like the mechanism that opens the tray died, so you'll probably need to check to see if your computer is still under warranty.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You have successfully exploded a CD inside your drive! :D

I'm serious, that's what has happened. Remember, if you have a drive that reads at 48x, the disk is spinning around 10,000 RPM, and at those speeds, even a slight flaw will cause the disk to shatter.

Search Google for "Exploding CD", and you'll find lots of discussion about it, welcome to the club. :D:D:D

BTW, in all likelihood, your drive may be toast, the laser head is pretty delicate, and those disk pieces slamming into it have probably done significant damage. :cry:

I'd remove the drive from the system, and take the sheet metal off to remove all the pieces of CD that remain. Do a careful physical examination of the works you can see, checking for any damage. Put it back together if nothing obvious is broken, and see if it's still functional. Don't use a valuable CD for the first couple of times you use it! :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
johnwill said:
You have successfully exploded a CD inside your drive! :D

I'm serious, that's what has happened. Remember, if you have a drive that reads at 48x, the disk is spinning around 10,000 RPM, and at those speeds, even a slight flaw will cause the disk to shatter.

Erm.... Plextor 52x???????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spent six hours last night removing the drive from the computer, and the puzzle-fied disk from the drive.

The drive itself is shot. It won't open at all, and in order to remove all of those disk pieces, I had to remove the larger of the circuit boards. I'm going to take my computer to be replaced sometime this weekend I suppose, since now the drive is shot, alongside the original mouse, monitor power button, and speakers. :upset:

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I always got bad vibes looking at eMachines ads in the Sunday paper...now my suspicions are confirmed

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Actually, this has nothing to do with the fact that it was an eMachine. This is a fairly common issue nowadays with all the 48x and 52X drives in use. The flimsy and poorly balanced CD just wasn't meant to be spun at over 10,000 RPM! It happens to every brand of CD drive, since it's a function of the media, not the drive.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
vmail said:
my Toshiba DVD drive is 48x and Plextor CDRW drive is 52x, not had any problems yet
Which really means absolutely nothing. :rolleyes: It's not that often that a CD comes apart, I've also never had it happen, and I have about a dozen systems here. However, when the planets line up, and the moon is high, it may happen. :winkgrin: The plain fact is that if the media is stressed or defective, you may have the problem...

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
johnwill said:
Actually, this has nothing to do with the fact that it was an eMachine. This is a fairly common issue nowadays with all the 48x and 52X drives in use. The flimsy and poorly balanced CD just wasn't meant to be spun at over 10,000 RPM! It happens to every brand of CD drive, since it's a function of the media, not the drive.
I didn't make that comment based on the fact that the CD shattered, I made it because he mentioned that "now the drive is shot, alongside the original mouse, monitor power button, and speakers."

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Fox said:
I didn't make that comment based on the fact that the CD shattered, I made it because he mentioned that "now the drive is shot, alongside the original mouse, monitor power button, and speakers."
I went back and read the message again, I get it now. :D That is not exactly an enviable record when you look at it. :)

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Fox said:
I always got bad vibes looking at eMachines ads in the Sunday paper...now my suspicions are confirmed
HAHAHAHAHA same here & i feel very sick in my stomach for just looking at the best buy or circuit city ads for all there cheesy computers they sell..........

·
Registered
6 Posts
eMachines work great...I've got a T4080 and I got it when it first came out like in Q3 2002. I have never had any problems with it. I did take out the DVD and CD-RW drives though and installed a 250MB Zip and a 8x DVD Burner and upgrade to 1 GB DDR RAM. When he was taking stuff apart he probably broke something inside it, or a power cable came loose. I think they everything doesn't work story is a little fishy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.