Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed iTunes 4.9 on my Windows XP Professional SP2 PC and the sound is simply awful. I can't even recognize the songs. I've uninstalled and re-installed the software without any change.

Help, what's wrong?

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,606 Posts
how do other programs sound with the same files? i use itunes with xp sp2 and onboard audio without any problems. also check all your volume levels, too loud and it gets bad. i know some sound cards can add filters to the output ( like "played in a bathroom", or "concert hall" ) which will make it sound off. also some people say that turning off 'sound enhancer' ( edit>preferences>audio ) helps it sound better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a problem with terrible sound in iTunes as well. My problem is a loud background hiss when playing any file. When I use Winamp 5 to play the same file the sound is beautiful. I have tried new sound drivers, adjusting every output related setting available in iTunes and my sound card. After much tinkering and time wasted I tried installing iTunes and Winamp on my laptop to see if I could replicate the problem. Behold the same ungodly hiss! I am very dissappointed as I like iTunes for so many of it's organizational features but can't use it to listen to music anymore.

BTW, I never had the problem until iTunes 4.8 but it continues even into the newly released 5.0

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hissing sound in ITunes

Yup. I got the same problem. Loud background hiss. It not only occurs with Mp3s which otherwise play perfectly in Media Player but also with Apple's AAC files I bought on the ITunes store :sigh: I have updated to the latest version of ITunes and it still occurs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.