Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a growing problem that started earlier this week, and I am completely lost as to what is going on. This site has proved amazingly helpful in the past, so I thought I would give it a shot. I sincerely apologize if there is an existing thread for a similar issue, but it's so vague I haven't been able to search and find anything.

I have a 3 year old desktop running Windows XP SP2, for upkeep I use McAffee and SpyWareDoctor. I installed a 2nd iPod a few weeks back (not sure if that's related) and everything seemed to be fine. Two days ago, my computer seemingly lost it's audio drivers, which happened about a year ago and resolved itself with a reboot. On Wednesday, my memory stick stopped being recognized by my computer, but I couldn't figure out why. Thursday, my iTunes closed for no reason and while I can see the iTunes process is running in the task manager, it will not open as an application. I completely reinstalled iTunes and it worked, until I closed it - now it won't open again. I found a thread hinting the firewall may be to blame, so I restarted my computer, disabled my firewall, but iTunes wouldn't load. Furthermore (and this is what I find most troubling) is when I restart my computer, it takes an excrutiatingly long time to restart. After the XP splash, the screen goes black (for probably 5 minutes), then the desktop load without icons (probably another 5 minutes) and then ultimately it is fully loaded after about 15 minutes. It appears that once loaded just about every program runs fine, with the exception of iTunes (and the unrecognized thumb drive). I realize this is probably not enough information to figure out what I could do, but if anyone could give me any ideas as to what I could do to try and hopefully get my computer back to normal it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
wow thats a lot of funny problems, for the sound and usb check the cables and hardware are all hooked up good and not loose, do you have many programs running when the pc starts up? sometimes pcs can just get overloaded at startup, i type msconfig into run from the start menu and check the startup and uncheck programs that i don't need starting up? try and be more specific as to whats going on cos its all very random

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There didn't seem to be too many programs starting when I used msconfig, but I did uncheck a bunch that weren't critical and it still took 20 minutes to start up, so I do not believe that is the problem.
I will try to be more specific with the major problem. Itunes appears to be running in the background along with iTunes services, etc - but it is not open on my desktop. If I end the iTunes processes and try to restart it, it gives me the hourglass for a second, but ultimately doesn't open anything. I've tried this many times, but it never does start regardless of how long I wait. I got iTunes to work once, but completely reinstalling iTunes, but it closed for no real reason after about an hour and then went back to not responding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
is itunes the only ipod software you use cos maybe you might have something else conflicting with itunes, it seems very strange even after reinstalling itunes, i personally use anapod explorer cos i always prefered dargging and dropping music.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

I did a thorough removal of iTunes and completely reinstalled the program and for the most part it seems have resolved the major issues I've been having, and now it is able to find the memory stick, which is surprising, but I'm not going to question it. Thank you very much for your help, it seems most everything is working okay again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.