Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! First, thanks to anybody whoc an help me out with this issue.

Recently, my music has been chopping when I play it through iTunes. In general, it seems like my system resources are low, and my memory seems all of a sudden to be used up much faster. My mouse is kind-of skipping along the screen at times (not smooth motion) and, strangely, when I boot my computer, even the WINDOWS SOUND chops. Since that is occurring, I can't really rule iTunes as the problem.

I've checked out my system resources at different times and have the following:

37 processes (seems like a lot!)
CPU usage seems to settle at 2%

Physical memory (K): 523628
Available: 302572

When I load firefox:
CPU Usage 2%
Available memory: 272492

When I load iTunes:
CPU Usage fluctuates, but around 20-30%
Available memory: around 200000

but here's the thing: if this was a system resources problem, why would my Windows OPENING sound be choppy? Is this a sound card problem?

I cut down on almost all of my startup programs, so that when I boot, the only things that load are Norton, ZoneAlarm, and Netgear wireless things.

I've installed a few programs recently (a program that uses Microsoft Access, but it's not always running) and I can't say that my use is anything technical: no heavy workloads. It's a 3.06GHz processor with 512 MB RAM. A Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook.

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this exact problem...sorry to dig up an old post....but my computer chops every second on the second....my mouse freezes, the sounds freeze (even windows sounds) but my processes show nothing taking any load (system idle process is at 96-99 all the time).

Ran trendmicro, antisyware, and mcafee, nothing turned up. Hijackthis shows nothing malicious.

My computer doesn't to this if i restart, but then randomly it comes back. Restart, it goes away for awhile (like 30 min), then comes back.

Anyone know where to start?

Thanks...

Stan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.