Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got macafee and now i dont have a list for my shared music. is there a preferance i can change or can i add itunes to a trusted list of some kind? im pretty positive its because of the antivirus, only thing ive changed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
lookin for an excellent firewall and antivirus progm

good afternoon all;

just finished installing win xp pro/wsp2 and fielding info for an excellent
easy to use firewall and antivirus protection that will install with few
problems . work well and not eat up resources like a hog.

any one having suggestion of firewall and antivirus prog that work well
please reply.

purplesky..
you like avg; great.
which version total package or just the firewall?
i here bad things about zonealarm!(resource hog)
i'm going to set these's up on 3 pc's all xp pro and 2 wireless dsl
and one with the dsl router and sbc yahoo installed on all machines.

i here that microsoft recommends "the shield firewall"
what's do all of you think?

thanks
quester12

P

·
0 Posts
dear quester12

Yes i like AVG over macafee. Also it is free. That way you dont pay for your own punishment. :) I would recommend you to search TSF about which firewall antivirus whats the best .. We had plenty of those discussions here. I would look under here first.

My personal opinion is : best antivirus / firewall is the user. Aware usage of your computer will protect you better then anything but not getting online. You sure do need a firewall and antivirus. In addition sometime soon we might need antispywares necessary. IF the users are aware of internet security threads I wouldnt spend a fortune on the security software. AVG and Zone firewall would do the work neatly. If I had to buy I would chose panda software products like the titanium. In an article it was said to be one of the hardest to configure and not very user friendly. However panda software is a decent company with decent products to me. In the same article most user friendly security software was trendmicro pc-cilin and they are pretty decent too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
purplesky thanks

purplesky,

thanks for the info :grin:

i did not see that under security :rolleyes:
oops sorry i would have put my question in their.

thanks for your reply.

quester12

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you dont want to loose resources, a router works as a great firewall. The only thing it wont do is protect outbound traffic, which is all i use zonealarm for but i have never needed it. You could also purchase a hardware firewall.

·
Registered
83 Posts
misscali said:
I just got macafee and now i dont have a list for my shared music. is there a preferance i can change or can i add itunes to a trusted list of some kind? im pretty positive its because of the antivirus, only thing ive changed.
in iTunes, go to Edit, then preferences, then sharing, and see if 'look for shared music' tick box is checked... also, check if your firewall is blocking tcp port 3689...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. I get macafee free though, university student :D, so with money not an issue, is avg still better you think? and any particular reason?

also, seemed the problem seemed to fix itself, i think i just needed to let the internet connection..eh..register or something..its weird. anyway, yay. lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is better not just because it is free, it simply is better, in my opinion. Resources, user-friendliness, ect. the works. I find McAfee similar to Norton, both being a waste of space. Norton is horrible about slowing down computers. Both of their anti-virus software sucks too. Just my 2 cents :sayyes:

CMA

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yep, i agree, i think AVG out does both mcaffe and norton. I think that mcaffe slows a computer less generally than norton but avg uses less resources than both and is also better all around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.