Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings associates,

I am having an issue with a Server2003 installation which I am (possibly) trying to migrate to 2008 or 2012. The issue I face is as follows:

On boot, the one server (3 users plus the admin) gives an error that the "Active Directory is either missing or corrupted." I can log in as the administrator and can see the provided file folder shares and users, but it appears the users workstations are using cached credentials to access their shares.

I have replaced 2 outdated workstations and have been unable to add them back to the domain. The users that are still on older workstations are having no issues (with cached credentials, I'm assuming), but the new systems are only able to access their shares by using my administrator credentials and then saving those admin credentials for the shares access.

I've not run into this issue before. There are a total of 3 standalone servers (located in 3 isolated locations) all using the same domain. Each location has only 3-5 users total. 2 of the servers are still fully functioning under Server2003, and I wish to migrate them ALL to either 2008 or 2012. I have installation original disks for both server flavors, and can obtain the licenses for them. This one server, with only 4 users is stopping me from the desired migration. :uhoh:

Or, I have another option that I am considering:

I am actually considering installing a NAS for each location as a viable alternative option, as the file shares are the only use that the servers perform. The are no mail servers or group policies in effect at any location. It seems rather unnecessary to have full-blown servers for only the required file sharing, but I did not set up these systems. I have only recently inherited all IT support responsibilities. In theory, the NAS system could/would have the same security capabilities over the user shares when configured properly. (?) There is a (hardware) firewall already in place at each location.

The organization itself is a non-profit providing juvenile custody for local court referrals only. There is a central office, and two satellite locations housing boys and girls separately. Each location has a stand-alone server (2003) at present, and it is only the boys custody location that has the issues as outlined above. There are only three employees that have accounts on that server plus my admin account.

As another option I had considered CLONING the girls dorm server location, and then resetting the local user accounts to the boys dorm staff once that system is restored.

I hope I have provided enough information, and any useful advice would be welcomed!! :grin:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Why is the faulty AD server stopping you from migrating?

Backup the data to an external drive, setup the new server, create new users and restore the data back with the fresh permissions.

When you migrate them "ALL" to 2008 or 2012, are you meaning via active directory sites and services?(so they all synchronize AD) or do you just mean you want to upgrade each standalone server to 2008/2012

You haven't mentioned much about what services are hosted on each server, so I can only assume they are file servers only, a migration to a new server is just a case of migrating the data.

Unless I'm missing the point completely.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have decided to go the route of installing a NAS at each location, as the file shares are the only services provided by the servers. The main purpose of the server was to provide password protected isolation of the data access to each staff member depending upon their role. I can do that with permissions set on the NAS and avoid the need for 3 new server licenses, as well as server upgrades.

I've had some time to stew over this and the Executive Manager of the group has agreed that this is the best way forward. Emails and website are hosted by a local service as a donation to the non-profit, so those roles are not needed. In fact the installation of the servers long ago was basically overkill to start with.

Thanks for the response, which confirms my assessment of the true needs of the organization. Backups are run incrementally on a fixed schedule to drives connected behind a firewall. The use of any "cloud" solution is prohibited by the contract with the courts regarding confidentiality of the records.

As one can understand, juvenile records are often sealed upon leaving the system as adults, and any possible leakage of those records could have enormous consequences for all concerned.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Personally I did the same for a client recently, but I made the mistake of buying an entry level NAS, which had absolutely woeful transfer speeds, sure it has a gigabit port, but the actual transfer speeds were listed on the datasheet at less than 100base.

I would advise you to check the spec sheets of the NAS before you purchase and implement it into a live network, nothing will hurt you more than the client reporting "slow programs/spinning circles" and endless calls due to "not responding" (and the client only had 4 people accessing it)

Actually had to rip the nas out after 3 months and replace it with a windows Server that was less than double the price of the NAS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.