Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Here's the specs on my configs:

10 Yr old HP Entertainment laptop DV76b32US
Win10 Pro - completely updated
Core i7 2.20 GHz
16GB RAM
All drives formatted as NTFS
2 internal drives - C: is a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB and 2nd drive (S:) is a HGST (Western Digital) 1TB mech HD
2 x 10 Port USB hubs
4 External USB drives:
3TB (ancient) WD
8TB Seagate
10TB Seagate
16TB Seagate Iron Wolf in a dock

Non storage devices connected:
1 wireless mouse (plugged directly into onboard USB)
External Roccat Skelter keyboard
HP Printer
Cooling pad (plugged directly into onboard USB)
USB Webcam
1 Lightning cable for my iPad

Here are the problems:

When booting with hubs connected machine takes forever to load; without hubs connected instantly boots into Windows in under 1 minute...(not bad for a 10 year old (this year officially - still have all purchase docs) laptop with only a quad core CPU)
All the Seagate drives take forever to show up in system
Disk Management comes up blank and hung with message about "connecting to virtual drives services" and crashes

Here's where the specifics come into play. I have pretty much definitively identified the problematic drive to be the ancient WD 3TB external drive which shows up only identified as H: "local drive" and cannot be read.
When I unplug that it allows the machine to operate normally including booting up the entire machine.
I am currently running a CHKDSK on that drive it registers that the drive is still formatted as NTFS but, well, every file record seems to be coming up as File record segment is unreadable and is running the CHKDSK in read only mode. The drive is ancient but was working yesterday. I do have a satisfactory back up of it. I have been a tech for over 25 years and know nothing and no one lives forever and understood this drive and my laptop to be ancient. I am planning on purchasing a new laptop when I get the funds together; with the laptop being 10 years old I know that I have truly gotten MORE than my moneys worth which is why I love HP.

Knowing my equipment as well as I do my intuition/gut is telling me that the data is not unsalvageable and is repairable. I think it just got scrambled somehow. What are people's suggestions on things to try because my passion is for repairing things to learn new repair tricks. I do not want to format the drive so that is 100% off the table and NOT open for discussion. The current progress of the CHkDSK in read only mode is Stage: 25%; Total 10%; ETA 3:18 and I am going to abort it and try a repair mode for CHKDSK.

I have already run SFC scannow and it did repair things and I also ran DISM and it too repaired some things.

That is everything and thank you for reading this. All suggestions appreciated.

Sincerely,
Wonder Woman
Rectangle Font Computer Screenshot Parallel

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,862 Posts
The drive is ancient but was working yesterday. I do have a satisfactory back up of it.
If you have a backup of your data, then come to grips that the drive has Failed and cannot be recovered, replace the drive and toss this one in the bin and be done with it. The cost or repairing it would out weigh the cost of buying a brand new drive.
The only reason you would "repair" a failed drive is to recover the data off of it and then toss it. Since you have a backup there is no need to fool with it any longer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, I know it is toast, I just always love challenges before giving up because I view giving up is way too easy. I always have to give things more than just a basic good old try just to have fun torturing myself. I figure since the drive is still showing up in some manner and is registering in some manner as still being formatted as NTFS I wanted to see if the data was just simply scrambled and if that was the case, and I could "unscramble" it then I would make one single final full copy of the data and then completely wipe the drive.

·
Global Moderator
42,862 Posts
Fine, you want to do it the hard way, then Remove the PCB board from the drive and send it in to Hard Drive Donors and Circuit Boards for HDD Repair They have to match that board with another board with the same Firmware. Then they will send it back to you and you can put it on. You cannot buy a board on Ebay unless the Firmware matches exactly.
If that's still too much work, you can send your drive to them and they will remove the PCB board and replace it with a good board with the same Firmware, and they will test the drive for you to make sure it works. This process costs twice as much as a brand new drive and there is no guarantee that it will last more then a few weeks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just hoping there might be some sort of software that could take a shot at unscrambling data......If it is totally hardware and not simply scrambled data I would 100% agree with giving up.

·
Global Moderator
42,862 Posts
The Data is corrupted because of hardware failure.
I do have a satisfactory back up of it.
But it doesn't matter because you have a backup so no need to recover data from this drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts