Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On MacOS, I am able to get certain folders to become invisible, but they and their contents still show up in searches in Finder even after I get them to disappear, which kind of eliminates the whole point of hiding them in the first place. This includes the Recents section of Finder, which doesn't seem to have any way to clear it. I'm also not sure hiding a folder hides all of its subfolders. On Windows, hiding a folder automatically hides its subfolders and removes them from searches too. Is there any way to do this on a Mac? I've never been able to figure it out on MacOS and the instructions online just don't seem to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On MacOS, I am able to get certain folders to become invisible, but they and their contents still show up in searches in Finder even after I get them to disappear, which kind of eliminates the whole point of hiding them in the first place. This includes the Recents section of Finder, which doesn't seem to have any way to clear it. I'm also not sure hiding a folder hides all of its subfolders. On Windows, hiding a folder automatically hides its subfolders and removes them from searches too. Is there any way to do this on a Mac? I've never been able to figure it out on MacOS and the instructions online just don't seem to work.
Yes you can hide folders/subfolders on a Mac.

To hide a folder, open the Terminal and type the following command*:
Code:
chflags hidden /path/to/folder
To hide a subfolder, use the same command but include the path to the subfolder:
Code:
chflags hidden /path/to/folder/subfolder
Both of these commands will make the folder or subfolder invisible in Finder and removed from any searches.
To unhide the folder or subfolder, simply reverse the command using the ‘nohidden’ feature:
[CODE]chflags nohidden /path/to/folder
or
Code:
chflags nohidden /path/to/folder/subfolder
Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts