Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new hp computer and the internet works great if the verizon dsl modem is connected straight to it, ohh I did had to run winsockfixit program then the internet worked. But now the issue is i bought a new Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router hooked it up followed the cd disk wizard and it keeps on failing when trying to detect internet connection. windows does obtain ip address from the router it just wont connect to the internet and i think i know why i just need help in fixing it heres what i found.
I went to control panel, then network connections, then in the internet gateway section theres, a internet connection icon I beleive i'm trying to remember best can, well it says disabled, and i went to enable it and a little pop up windows comes up saying but then says connection failed.
So thats probably why the internet part isnt working, but the internet does work fine without the router. Is it a router issue or windows issue? can someone help please.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Are you rebooting the modem and router each time you change devices and/or settings? You always have to reboot the modem when you change the device attached to it. I've been told that the linksys documentation doesn't include that very important tidbit of advice.

You don't neccessarily have to reboot the router when you change it's settings. I have people do it primarily to get them to realize the importance of rebooting as a first fix

To do a reboot, unplug the power cable from both the modem and router. Wait one minute - plug in modem - wait one minute - plug in router. Timing and order are important

·
Registered
5 Posts
Linksys Router

I bought a Linksys router model WRT54GR a week ago and had similar problem. The router is connected to a cable modem. After surfing on the internet for a while traffic would be increasingly slowed down until it came to a grinding halt. Rebooting the router AND the modem would put them back to work.

The temporary work around I found so far was to put my (old) Lan router between the Linksys router and the modem. Internet is much faster in this setup. This suggests the Linksys has problem dealing with the modem.

I haven't figured out what caused it yet. It could be MTU or any one of a number of parameters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah tgg, try restarting both your modem and your router.

And who, I've had similar problems with linksys myself... I heard using bit torrent overloads the memory of some linksys routers, could that be it?

I find it weird that adding another router in the middle improved your situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.