Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an issue with My Passport Ultra WD. When I plug it in to my laptop, it blinks for seconds then disconnects automatically. It does not show in my computer. Furthermore, I have tried to connect it to another PCs with another cables but the problem persists. Yesterday, I visited a store that deals with such errors. The representative opened the HD (without connecting it to the PC) and told me that this is a manufacturer error that is accelerated by either plugging it in to a smart tv or unplug from a PC without ‘safely remove’. Also, he told me that every HD consists of a board and a media, in my case, the board is unrepairable but he can extract the media for me which will take 5 working days.
My question is, can I do this by myself? How?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,966 Posts
Safely remove is no longer an issue with Windows 10. If he's telling the truth, you would have difficulty reconstructing the disc (need for parts). Here's how it's done:
Also, when using the HD, get to Windows before plugging it in unless you set the bios not to boot from it first.

·
Premium Member
41,912 Posts
In the old days you could remove the HDD from the enclosure and attach it to a computer internally or via another USB Adapter/Enclosure. Once you get to the end of the video, you will see that the PCB green Circuit Board has a proprietary USB Connector soldered onto it. This is the part that may have failed. So, removing from the enclosure is not going to help. You would need to replace the PCB board with the proper Firmware to get the drive to work enough to get the data off of it.
Before you do that, plug it in and put your ear next to it. If the drive spins up and then immediately spins down, or if it makes a clicking or scraping sound, or the drive is totally silent the HDD has most likely failed. If the data is critical, then you can go about replacing the PCB, you have to order, that's what takes 5 days.
Not using the Safely Remove Icon has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Safely remove is no longer an issue with Windows 10. If he's telling the truth, you would have difficulty reconstructing the disc (need for parts). Here's how it's done:
Also, when using the HD, get to Windows before plugging it in unless you set the bios not to boot from it first.
Thanks for you reply. I have followed the video, what shall I do after disassemble the HD?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the old days you could remove the HDD from the enclosure and attach it to a computer internally or via another USB Adapter/Enclosure. Once you get to the end of the video, you will see that the PCB green Circuit Board has a proprietary USB Connector soldered onto it. This is the part that may have failed. So, removing from the enclosure is not going to help. You would need to replace the PCB board with the proper Firmware to get the drive to work enough to get the data off of it.
Before you do that, plug it in and put your ear next to it. If the drive spins up and then immediately spins down, or if it makes a clicking or scraping sound, or the drive is totally silent the HDD has most likely failed. If the data is critical, then you can go about replacing the PCB, you have to order, that's what takes 5 days.
Not using the Safely Remove Icon has nothing to do with it.
That was informative, thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have already checked your USB port and all the ports are not recognizing the WD my passport Ultra, you can try changing the USB cable. So, you can get a new USB cable to attach your hard drive with the computer. Make sure you try the USB cable with every port.
Already did, but problem persists.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts