Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running Windows 10 Home (a recent upgrade). I have always been a guy that installed powerful third-party security programs to handle my virus scans, real-time protection, and especially my firewall. I come from the school of "Never trust the default, get a better one installed ASAP."

Recently, more and more people have been telling me to dump any/all antivirus programs (I currently run BitDefender Total Security), because Windows latest firewall/antivirus is more than enough and can do just as good a job. Also, it does it at a fraction of the drain on the computer's resources.

I'm skeptical, but I do like the idea of speeding up my computer. But first, is this true? Can I really rely on Windows stock security settings for the same level of protection?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is impressive info. And you're right, stock apps (especially like the old Windows antivirus) definitely have a bad rep. But I'm willing to give it a try and uninstall BitDefender. Right now it's disabled all of Windows security stuff. So do I just do a clean uninstall and then just flip everything back on as-is? Or are there security settings when it comes to Windows firewall and antivirus I should specially configure to get the most bang for my protection buck?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts