Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again, 2 days ago my Windows XP Home tried to load and couldn't due to so many errors and then froze. I had to force shut down. I then tried to restart in safe mode but the drivers page comes up and stays there. I let the computer rest and after an age it loaded at snails pace. A message appeared saying: check disc needs to be carried out on C Drive. I asked for an error check and rebooted, this is what comes up every time I do this: cannot open volume for direct access. Windows has finished checking the disc. I cannot do an error check. I restarted and looked at event viewer on system tab, selected proerties for the error. It says the file system on the disc is corrupt and unusable. I tried a disk cleanup next and done that o.k. I tried to degragmant but it says cannot because error check has been asked for. I tried the sfc /scannow missing Windows files test and it carries this out, at a very slow speed, and doesn't ask for a disk or doesn't tell me anything? I have recently done a full sytem restore because of multi errors on this drive and all seemed well for about a month but now I am wondering if my 6 year old Seagate hard drive has finally had it?
I have done a Speedfan test on this drive and have enclosed the screen shot. Matt was dealing with a problem on this drive before and told me to keep a close eye on it. At the moment the computer can be used if you can bear the incredibly long startup and very slow scans of anything. Thank you.
Regards tech_no :4-dontkno

Attachments

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
Re: Is this the end of my old hard?

your image just shows the task bar
your asking a bit much from this
SP Group Inc. FSP 245-80GP. 245W
are you typing in the run box
chkdsk /r
pressing enter and then rebooting
download seatools from seagate and run the diognostic utility on the drive
check dma is enabled on the drive

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your prompt reply dai. I must apologise firstly for my heading, it is meant to be hard drive, can you ammend it for me please if possible? I have just opened my attachment twice from the link on here in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and it shows the Speedfan findings. The heading at the top is:Seagate%20Master%Drive20 3.12.07. If it doesn't show up you need to choose right or left bottom arrow. I realise now that my PSU is underpowered: at the time I knew nothing about computers, but since joining the forum I am gradually learning. I used the power calculator some time ago and realise I need a 350 Watt minimum PSU. I just tried chkdsk /r, pressed enter and rebooted, the same meesage comes up as Windows loads: cannot open volume for direct access. I was selecting checkdisc from the tools tab of properties menu for the disc before. I will download Seatools from Seagate and run diagnostics. I willl look to see if dma is enabled and report back. The strange part is this computer is working fine once it has loaded. I am wondering if I have removed something in Startup by mistake. I have just used Revo Uninstaller and have been removing registry entries with it. It is the Windows loading that is taking ages, the general running of the system is good. The BIOS is loading very fast. I upgraded that some time back.
Regards tech_no

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hi again, just selected properties of Prmary IDE Controller from Device Manager and on Advanced tab found that this drive on Transfer Mode states: DMA if available, but current tansfer mode is: PIO Mode.
My Western Digital slave drive on the other hand is set to: ultra DMA Mode 5. My Master Drive is a 6 year old drive so I don't know if it can be set to DMA Mode?
tech_no

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hi again Nicholas,
I had to download Netframe work 2.0 to get Seatools for Windows to install last night. I have tried the first 2 scans already and the Master Drive passed on both. Those were the short Drive Self Test and the Long Drive Self Test. I will do the other tests when I have time. I looked at BIOS last night for the Primary IDE channel. The Drive 0, my C drive is set to Auto, the LBA Mode is ON, the Block Mode is ON, Fast Programme I/O Modes: 4,
32 Bit Transfer Mode is ON, S.M.A.R.T. for hard disks is DISABLED, Write Caching is: ENABLED.
Is it the S.M.A.R.T. I have to enable now? There are no other options as far as I can see. Thank you again.
Regards tech_no
Just thought of something, I found my drive on the Seagate website last night and it does have DMA support for EISA Type B.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
If there's a PCI IDE Busmaster setting you can change it's under "Advanced" or PCI settings.

You should run SeaTools from DOS (floppy or CD).

Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology is a monitoring system to (hopefully) anticipate HDD failure.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
here is a post you cannot access
spotila

Manually Setting DMA
go to the reg. key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001 or 0002 (depending on beeing primary[0001] or secondary[0002] ide channel)

there you modify the DWORD value of :
if the drive is on master: "MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed" or
if the drive is on slave: "SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed"
to ffffffff

then go back to your device manager set your drive in IDE channel properties first back to pio and then, after confirming, again to dma ...that should do the trick[/b]
back up the registry before starting

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In reply to your last one Nicholas, I made my Seatools for DOS floppy successfully. I inserted it into my drive and rebooted. It found the floppy on Startup ok but next line said: FreeDOS_ with a flashing cursor. I tried enter and return but nothing. Is it waiting for a command?
tech-no
I will have to train myself dai how to change registry settings and the best way to back it up. I have uninstalled from the registry but not changed settings yet. I am not that advanced, sorry, but will have a go.
Thank you.
tech_no

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you dai for your registry answer. I don't think being a mechanical fitter has helped me much with this one. lol. I have learnt how to backup and restore the regstry o.k. I follow your instructions to the 0001 and 0002 for the drives, but on mine I have 0000, 001 and 002. I know my Master C Drive is listed as 0 in BIOS and my slave drive is 01. Which do I select, is there a way of telling in registry? I see you can right click, select New and then submenu DWORD, but I am at a loss here too? I think I can master this with a little help. I have been reading about this on the Microsoft site. Sorry to be a pain.
Regards tech_no

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
this is from ms here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472/
might be easier to follow
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.
5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
6. Type 1, and then click OK.

Follow these steps, and then quit Registry Editor: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess, and then press ENTER.
5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
6. Type 1, and then click OK.

Note The numbered subkeys that are listed earlier correspond to the primary and secondary IDE channels on a computer that contains a single IDE controller. If your computer contains two IDE controllers, the numbered subkeys for the primary and secondary IDE channels for each of the two controllers may be:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0004

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0005
To verify that you have located the correct subkey, verify that the DriverDesc value for the subkey contains the string value "Primary IDE Channel" or the string value "Secondary IDE Channel."

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you very much for that detailed explanation dai. I think I can follow that now. In my Device Manager three IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers are shown:
Primary IDE channel
Secondary IDE channel
SiS PCI IDE controller
I just need to study your letter and follow it step by step.
regards tech_no

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to let you know Nicholas, I have thoroughly searched my BIOS (AMI BIOS 2001) and there is nothing like a PCI IDE Busmaster in there. I have turned my S.M.A.R.T. on, don't know if this will do anything, time will tell. I also searched my daughter's computer's BIOS (Award 2006), as a matter of interest, and no mention in there about a Busmaster either.
Regards tech_no
I have another Seatools for DOS downloaded file I have to transfer to floppy, they say to try this one if the other one doesn't work.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for that driver update. I just unstalled it and rebooted, unfortunately nothing changed, the Windows XP screen is still doing about 50 bypasses of the blue dots instead of about 5 and my sound is very blurry.
I have spent about an hour this afternoon trying to get this other Seatools for DOS file onto a floppy disc (DOS v 1.10). It loads onto disc and about half way through comes up with error 21, check floppy matches the image file and is formatted in correct format 720, 1.44. I have tried quick formatting floppys, long formatting all to no avail.I have tried a full box of floppys nearly. How infuriating. Is there another way to format a floppy to suit their programme?
tech-no

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
boot the computer from the xp cd and choose install
when itsays press R
press R
in the recovery console try
fixboot

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I must apologise to you, dai and Nicholas, for taking so long in answering. The Repair method on my Windows XP is not possible. I looked into this in depth on the Packard Bell website, I couldn't beleive this nor could kinbard from the Hardware Tech Team, but it is the way they made this recovery system unfortunately.
I tried to System Restore, 2 days ago, to the point before this problem occured and it seemed to be doing it very slowly and then froze for hours. I had to force shut down, restarted and only BIOS would load, no Windows. I had to do a full system restore and all went well. With just Windows in alone the sytem worked so fast. I reinstalled my SP2, security updates, virus and malware, antiroot, firewall software and keyboard and mouse drivers and graphic card drivers. I noticed then how the Windows was having a harder, slower start up, as I added more. The number of blue dots increasing before it starts. I made my floppy of Seatools for DOS so easily, restarted with it in drive and all the writing comes up ok, but on the end user license page, you have page up, page down, Y for yes and N for no, nothing will work on my keyboard at that stage? I have tried check disc again, but still no direct access to drive C, not able to check? Good news dai is that, on reinstalling Windows, both of my hard drives are now on Ultra DMA. I think my PSU could be struggling and my master hard drive has probably just about had it. This is second full recovery in 2 months now. My plans are to do away with my old Seagate Drive and to use my new Western Digital as a master dirve, it is partitioned in 4 drives, so the first one could be my C Drive. This would put less strain on my PSU and save me spending more money on my old system. The hardest bit will be having to retattoo this drive to pick up my Master CD's. Thank you.
Regards tech_no

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.