Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ive built the pc, but at the beginning where it has the windows logo and the bar going from left to right, it loads for about 45 seconds, my old crappy pc took about 10 seconds, this is what i built,

amd 64 san diego 3700
200g samsung spinpoint hardrive
Kingmax PC3500 SuperRAM 433Mhz 1GB (2 x 512Mb) Dual Channel
dfi ultra d lanparty mobo

it runs xp,

ram are in slots 2 and 4,
hardrive goes to sata 1,

any help, or is it suppose to take this long to load?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
no , you have a fireball there, and on a fresh system, it should boot quick

for starters, take 1 ram module out and see how it reacts

did you load norton by any chance?

then post back

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i built it this morning, so all it has is xp, where should i put ram though, beacuse manual says put it in 1 and 3, but when i turn the computer, it then says to put ram in 2 and 4

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put one in slot one, and then cpmputer wont start up,

i put both in slot 1 and slot 3, turn on computer and it says that your suppose to use slot2 and slot4 for dual mode, but you can still continue anyway, still takes about 45 seconds to load

put one in slot 2, still takes 45 seconds

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will try that, so if i have a partition for windows, say 10gb, but how do you install stuff to the other partiton drive,

say that the windows partition is c:, and the other leftover gb's (190gb) is d:, when installing stuff do i simply install to d:?, so in my computer i will have two storage hard drives sort of, c and d?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Do you have all your drivers installed including motherboard drivers?

Did you by chance turn off any services such as Task manager?

Check your events log to see if any errors or warnings are listed.

·
Registered
906 Posts
greengr said:
i will try that, so if i have a partition for windows, say 10gb, but how do you install stuff to the other partiton drive,

say that the windows partition is c:, and the other leftover gb's (190gb) is d:, when installing stuff do i simply install to d:?, so in my computer i will have two storage hard drives sort of, c and d?
Yes all windows related components would go to C: and program files and data would go to D:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ greengr
I did something similar to what whosdat and Barry_R are suggesting, but i put WinXP and all program files on the 'C' partition of 20GB and the 'D' partition for data storage. I read somewhere that many programs share the registry and other winXP files, so having them on the same partition is more easily accessed by the programs that need them so it's a bit speedier. I've used about 10GB so far. I do like to keep 30-50% free space for speed of defragging and general read/write speed. 20Gb is still quick for booting and for defragging. One thing I did have to watch out for is some programs, like video editing, want to put the 'temp' files in 'C'. I had to make sure to move them elsewhere.

Also, from this post I would think your RAM belongs in slots 2 and 4. Sounds like you might have an older BIOS version. You might want to poke around there for some optimal BIOS settings suggestions.

As for slow boot, have you run some anti-virus or anti-spyware programs to make sure you are clean? If your system is just slow during boot but runs fine when finished booting, going 'start>run>msconfig>startup' and just google every entry that is checked and unchecking the ones you do not want starting up when WinXP does can help.

Keep us posted with your progress...good luck :smile:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i partitioned the harddrive 20gb and 160gb, but still taking 45 seconds to boot, and there is no crap or spyware, as i have only installed windows xp and nothing else,

any other ideas

could there be a fault with ram or hard drive,

it is a sata hardrive, with smart, do i have to turn on smart, will it help?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
to the best of my knowledge, SMART won't make the machine run faster.

i'm pretty sure all it does is alert you of possible upcoming failures, by monitoring the disk, and reporting to you.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
you probably checked already but have you poked around in the bios in regards to any "quick boot" options?
are you using any desktop themes? downloaded wallpaper?
and how is the overall operation of the computer? is it fast? aside from the boot...you might have to live with the few second lag on startup.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think he is referring to the gyrations that windows goes through before getting to the desktop. However bios can also be optimized in various ways to get to the windows boot screen faster.

A fresh installation of windows XP has services running that are most often not needed. Each of those has to be loaded.

You might want to look at disabling any services that you do not need.
Look here BlackViper

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the thing is though i didn't disable any startup programs on my old crap pc, and that started up really quick!,

if there is somthing in bios where will it be, ive got a dfi lanparty ultra d, and then menus are massive, anyone point me in right direction?

also should i link to internet and try and install latest version of sp2, might this be the problem,

is there a way that i can run a test to see how good computer is, where it shows how good your ram or hartdrive or cpu is, then i might be able to see which one is running slow.

thanks

·
Registered
906 Posts
greengr said:
the thing is though i didn't disable any startup programs on my old crap pc, and that started up really quick!,

if there is somthing in bios where will it be, ive got a dfi lanparty ultra d, and then menus are massive, anyone point me in right direction?

also should i link to internet and try and install latest version of sp2, might this be the problem,

is there a way that i can run a test to see how good computer is, where it shows how good your ram or hartdrive or cpu is, then i might be able to see which one is running slow.

thanks
One thing you can do in bios is go to your drive section and turn off auto on all channels that do not have a drive attached. Turn of the ram checking, enable fast boot.

Yea your old PC booted faster, it probably does'nt have as many features to initialize as the new board does. I agree that 45 seconds seems a bit long but it's not a devastating issue. If the PC runs good after the boot then you have a winner.

As you work with the machine and learn how to work the new bios and hardware you may find more optimal settings. If your relatively slow boot is related to an real problem it will eventually show up with use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.