Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok right now I have An ATI 7000 and i have a Geforce Fx 5200 (non Ultra) is this a huge leap i looked around after buying it and im going from a 166 MHZ Core Clock to 250MHZ Core is it going to be so much better?

·
Registered
207 Posts
As far as speed difference yes you will notice a difference. The programs that you use now will probably seem less choppy as the number of dropped frames are reduced. However if you plan on playing games on the PC that use DirectX 9 then your video card will not be up the task. It just depends on what you use your computer for. Hope this helps.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i don't think i would listen to someone who can't even speak the language they are trying to communicate in.

the card you have will work lovely, i in fact have an even slower card, and i can run games with dx9 just fine

i think he was trying to say that games with very high demand will still run a tiny bit choppy.

~BoB~

·
Registered
12 Posts
Going from a RADEON 7000 to a GeForce FX 5200 will be a big boost... you'll be able to run most games beautifully (some, especially older ones, with anti-aliasing enabled)

However, if you're worried about performance, and can wait a little bit - the RADEON 9800s are gonna be coming down soon, and those are sweet cards.

-Hyde

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hyde said:
Going from a RADEON 7000 to a GeForce FX 5200 will be a big boost... you'll be able to run most games beautifully (some, especially older ones, with anti-aliasing enabled)

However, if you're worried about performance, and can wait a little bit - the RADEON 9800s are gonna be coming down soon, and those are sweet cards.

-Hyde
ok but I've played games with anti-aliasing now also ive seen benchmarks that give the Gforce Fx 5200 very low marks aginst the ATI 9600 will i be able to plat Battlefeild 1942.... Command and Conquer Generals Halo and HL2 in comming months with the Geforce Fx 5200? Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
you can play any game that is out right now on the fx5200
Halo is stretching it. if you have a fast enough cpu it should run well in 800x600.If youre planning on playing half life 2 if it comes out you will want to upgrade for that probably.Dont upgrade for it now though because the top cards now still run it like crap.
Wait til it is out. the fx5200 should do fine til then thats what I am using.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Halo pc has a demo out which you can download from fileplanet.
I was not able to run it on my fx5200 except in -safemode
the graphics look like crap.
Go on and try it if you still have the fx5200
But from this experience I guess I have to assume that the fx5200 will not run Halo
So I will not buy it until I have a better card.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Although I've heard of problems with the FX5200, I've also heard that the new 51.xx drivers have fixed many of the problems. nVidia is great about improving their drivers, so keep your drivers up to date and you'll have a great card.
:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
bob vila said:
i don't think i would listen to someone who can't even speak the language they are trying to communicate in.

the card you have will work lovely, i in fact have an even slower card, and i can run games with dx9 just fine

i think he was trying to say that games with very high demand will still run a tiny bit choppy.

~BoB~
Exactly. I was thinking about Half-Life 2 when I wrote the above post. Sorry, I should have explained myself a little better. And yes like Bob said, the games that are out right now will work just fine. The 5200 should also play DVD's very well. But some of the high-demanding games will be a little choppy and I wouldn't want to use that video card for the upcoming Half-Life 2. I hope I explained myself a little better this time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the 45.23 drivers are the newest nvidia drivers. the 44.03 are faster at running almost every game so that's what I use.
The 52.13 are beta and newer but have some problems that I find unacceptable.They really screw up underwater lighting in half life games.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.