Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok where's the troops?
I got a question ala problemo...
I think the hard drive in my parents computer died, but I'm not sure. I've never dealt with this problem before, so I need your guys expert advice.

The computer was running fine, when it was restarted, I got the message "boot disk failure" So of course I restarted it again a few times, to make sure. Then I opened up the box, reset all the cables, still would not detect. Went into the bios, and the bios cant find it either. Not with auto detect, or nothing. So... where do I go from here? Is this thing dead? Its a Fujitsu 10G

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If the bios cant find it all of a sudden, chances are its gone to the big computer in the sky.... :reaper:

Before chunking it you should also do as danrak says, and also check the cable to make sure it has continuity. A wire in the cable might have broke or somthing....unlikey but possible.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,287 Posts
DJ, in the famous words of Dr. McCoy....."It's dead, Jim." Give it a proper burial and find them a larger drive!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
go to the manufacturs site and get the diags....seen a NONE bootable disks give a failur report...atleast youll no for sure...if you want a generic diag tool www.ontrack.com

and you might try slaveing it...if the boot sector is fried you might be able to recover something

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You can recover a dead drive for pretty cheap, if you dont want to send it away ... that is, check out the program below from grc.com

http://grc.com/spinrite.htm

I have used this product before on dead drives and completly corrupted drives and so far it has worked 100% of the time. For only $39 dollars its more than worth it.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,287 Posts
I agree with TheTech on Spinrite! It cleared errors out of a drive I had that was so bad off it wouldn't even boot. A very worthwhile program!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Recovering data

My hard drive died a little while back, but I was able to back up some files to floppy directly from DOS. Only problem is that it's a little hard to figure out what file is what, as the DOS names are not quite that same as the Windows names. I managed to save some jpg's, my bookmarks, and some pdf files doing this.... However, the ancient machine that the floppy drive is, doesn't hold that much, so don't get too excited. Good Luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.