Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

I have a laptop which was dropped by someone and the screen had become damaged. I ordered a replacement, disconnected the old display panel (here is where the nightmare begins) and I accidentally nudge the power button on the laptop (it's one of those buttons that look like a regular key) and my heart sank - I realised I forgot to disconnect the battery! :eek: Power LED comes on, so making sure I didn't touch any of the components, held down the power button until it switched off.

I then disconnected the battery and installed the new display panel - hooked it all back up and guess what? Nothing.

I'm assuming this is ESD damage? I didn't hear / see anything that might suggest this is the cause, but I know you can't always tell. I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation - to put my mind at rest.

Side note: The laptop is under warranty (however it was brought to me as screen damage is not covered) - Have I well and truly FUBAR'd the laptop? And would there be any way of getting it fixed under warranty?

Thank you for your time.

·
Global Moderator
42,348 Posts
When you disassemble the laptop, you void the warranty.
Take the laptop apart and check that all of the cables are plugged into the motherboard. You might have missed one or two when you put it back together.
The worse case scenario is there is ESD damage nd some static electricity may have shorted the motherboard.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you disassemble the laptop, you void the warranty.
Take the laptop apart and check that all of the cables are plugged into the motherboard. You might have missed one or two when you put it back together.
The worse case scenario is there is ESD damage nd some static electricity may have shorted the motherboard.
Thank you for your reply.

There were only two cables which were disconnected during the swap, and I have re-seated them both. Nothing else inside the laptop was touched.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's new motherboard time :(

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,492 Posts
When the machine was dropped there may have been more damaged than just the screen. Unseated components, and micro-cracks in PCBs are quite common with impact damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts