Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago i was playing GTA VC smoothly with NO problems at all. Then i leave, come back, reboot my pc and everything is suddenly slow. I did NOT install anything intentionally during that time. Somthing on my PC is using up all my cpu time, i'm using win 2k so when i do ctrl alt delete and go to the task manager i see that "system idle processes" is using up between 90 and 99 % of my CPU. Is this normal. BTW i have norton 2002 updated yesterday and zonealarm. Oh any my computer takes longer to boot too. All the games are really slow as if i had a slow frame rate. :confused: :confused:

Help would be appreciated!!

thanks in advance

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
It doesn't really sound like a virus to me...but looking at your system specs I would say something is probably wrong for it to be acting like that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi 9-3 and welcome to the forum,

It is normal for your system idle processes to be around 90-97.

Did you restart your PC during the NV update???

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
It doesnt sound like a virus/trojan activity but you never know....did you run a scan once you've update your AV ? Did anything set off your firewall lately ? Check your firewall logs for suspicious activity or anything abnormal. How is your PC with cooling ? Is it running hotter than usual ? Any unusual noises coming out of your case ?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
9-3 said:
Somthing on my PC is using up all my cpu time, i'm using win 2k so when i do ctrl alt delete and go to the task manager i see that "system idle processes" is using up between 90 and 99 % of my CPU.
The system idle process is how much time your computer is twiddling it's thumbs, it's good to see big numbers there if you're not running anything. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My computer hasn't been making any odd sounds, and temperature is normal. I have zonealarm, norton (didn't restart during any updates) and i ran ad-aware and Hijack This to get rid of all the known spyware.

The weird thing is yesterday when i shut down, somthing blocked and i got a message saying "Ending task - Should not see me" where "should not see me" is the program name. Could that mean somthing?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Occasionally, Windows gets wedged and can't shutdown a task normally, it's not a serious issue. After all, it's a Microsoft product. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received the same message today. It kinda got me worried as I have never seen this message before. I have also built, rebuilt my system many, many times before, both in software and hardware and never seen this message before. I have done some research and it seems that it is some type of programmers message. I had just upgraded my Nvidia drivers which required an uninstall install, so it seems very likely that this is some programmers mumbo jumbo, not an infection. Besides my machine is running really cool. I would like to suggest to our friend with the Win 2K that he should install the freeware program "StartupCPL". I got it from the web. It replaces Msconfig in Win 2K. I personally like it better than Msconfig. It gives you a better ability to control start ups. I would also recommend Registry Editor. I have found that whenever my registry gets clogged up, Registry Editor really cleans it up and speeds up my machine. I hope that this info helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.