Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My computer is need of serious help.

What is happening:

When I start the computer it loads fine but soon after it loads the windows screen, the monitor goes black and then shuts off.

I was willing to reformat my harddrive to remove any viruses, hoping that would solve it. While it worked better for a short period of time..the same problem has returned. Almost immediatly upon opening up windows the monitor goes black then shuts off.

Does this sound like a video card problem? I have an aftermarket video card. XFX Geforce.

Is there a good way to test if the video card is working properly or if it is part of the issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Please help. Bump. :smile:

I dont want to buy a new video card if its not necessary. Please let me know if there are any options I can try before doing that.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I will check on the specs using the link when I get home. But my computer has worked without a hiccup for nearly two years with the new video card. If it was the power supply wouldn't that have showed up sooner?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible the card is conflicting with my onboard video card. Do I need to deactivate the onboard video card. I have an intel chipset listed on my video tab in the device manager. Do I need to remove this to operate the new card?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about not posting the specs...the questions it was asking were nearly foreign to me.

I have a dell dimension 4700 with 80g harddrive 512mb of ram. It has a dvd drive and a cdrw drive. I have a printer and dvd burner attached to it via usb. The video card is a NVIDA Geforce 6600 dual dvi card. Is there somewhere i should specifically look to get all those other specs it asked for?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
details from the label on the side of the power supply
if you have upgraded the video card and it's a dell you are guaranteed to be underpowered

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So knowing what ive told you..you think its the power supply?

What about my question about the on board video card and drivers?

I'd hate to buy an an expensive item that wasnt necessary, especially if it doesnt even fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
whenever you run into the likley hood of something expensive always try and borrow first before buying,or buying from a place with a returns policy
to say yes or no would only be guessing being as you have not posted the information to run a check with

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whenever you run into the likley hood of something expensive always try and borrow first before buying,or buying from a place with a returns policy
to say yes or no would only be guessing being as you have not posted the information to run a check with
Well again I have to wait til I get home..I'll make a better effort to post the specs of my system. Thanks for your held Dai.

On a side note, the computer seems to operate fine with the video card removed.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
that points to insufficient power for the card
usually video and power go hand in hand when upgrading

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That makes sense...

but I keep coming back to wondering why this wouldnt have occurred shortly after installing the card. The card has been used for 2 years with no problems like this.

The past three months I have rarely turned the computer off...sometimes leaving it running for over a week at any one time....could this have damaged the power supply? Forgive me for being niave on the subject, but can a power supply "dim" with age? or is it just working at full capacity one day and dead the next? <--let me know if that question didnt make sense.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is there anyway to get the specs online from the model number I gave you?

Cause I didnt write down the amps..all the info was on the bottom of the psu and it was difficult to read.

I plugged my my computer specs into the calculator (im not sure what exact cpu I have but I tried all of them it could be.) and my wattage recommendation was never over 250w.

I left power supply adjustment tabs alone..(I dont know what they are)

Let me know what you think.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.