Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

When I run a Ewido scan on my computer at work, it spends a lot of time
scanning what appear to be .jpg files in a folder labeled "Temp220" in C:program Files\Accessories. I got the folder info and it's got over 220,000 files and is over 10GB in size. Nothing called "Temp220" appears on the 'Add/Remove Programs' list, and when I try to open the folder, I just get the waving flashlight icon. It says the folder was created in July of 2003; I am a teacher and would not have been at school at that time. We do have summer programs, and the people who work for them do have access to our computers. I find it hard to believe that anything like this is good for my computer at work (and, by extension, our network). Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

Rich

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Its a thorough scanner so its supposed to take about 4 hours to can an average sized HDD. If it never, you'd miss most of the spyware and it'll be rendered useless at its function.

Ewido is old and is not updated. Now its under this label: AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5

Get that, and run it while your away or at night. Not while you need the computer for other processes. Also get SpybotS&D, an anti-virus software like AVG or avast!, both free and run them preferably in SafeMode.
Do through scans and get a cup of coffee, or you can go on a 6 hour trip somewhere and be back when it finishes :grin:

If they find the folder as "suspecting", then you can navigate for it (its not a program so it won't be in Add/Remove) but its a folder with contents.

After the scans, you can explore the files and delete what you want. You can also quarantine which will make the virus/spyware useless and frozen but will allow you the option to view its files, restore it and also delete it permanently.

If you'd like to delete it after viewing its contents, you can type the filename in Winkey+F and do a system search.

To remove any infectious material, scan for it and keep your system running tip-top, have a read and follow this: http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...54-users-self-help-malware-removal-guide.html

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I discovered that the folder would in fact open, it was just so big that it took a while. It turns out the .jpg files were screen shots, and there was also what appeared to be a keylog .txt file. Some sort of spyware was on there, but it looks like it stopped working when they upgraded my comp to XP. I don't know why the folder with the screenshots and keylog wasn't deleted when the HD was formatted, but it's gone now. I deleted the whole folder and have been on the lookout for anything similar since. Fortunately, I don't do any personal work other than non-senstitive emails at school, so I don't think anything horrible will come of it. I have spybot and ad-aware at work and at home, and I will get rid of Ewido and use the AVG from now on. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.