Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post and I am having a baffling PC problem. For the last week or two I have been experiencing unexpected shutdowns all during fairly "low power usage" times. Just now I had 3 unexpected reboots in 30 or 45 minutes. I looked at my CPU temp on Core Temp and they both stay in the range of 45-55C. So this is clearly not a problem with my CPU heating up. I'm using a laptop, and am guessing this is a power supply problem. How would I go about diagnosing if it's a power supply problem without a multimeter or other testing devices?

Thanks, and please take it easy on the noob lol.

·
Visiting Tech
1,475 Posts
Unfortunately, a failing power supply is just one possible cause for sudden shutdowns and reboots. There are dozens of possible causes for such symptoms which makes it that much more difficult to troubleshoot. This could also be caused by failing RAM, malware, failing motherboard and more. And other components in the system are sensitive to heat, not just the CPU. While your CPU temps look good, I would make sure the interior is clean of heat trapping dust, as much as you are able.

rzarrillo said:
I am having a baffling PC problem.
I'm using a laptop...
Note while a laptop is technically a "personal computer", generally speaking a "PC" is considered a desktop computer. It is particularly important to distinguish between the two to avoid confusion when troubleshooting problems, but even more so when discussing power problems because PCs and laptops have entirely different power supply methods. A PC uses a power supply only, while a laptop uses a battery and "charger"/power supply.

If this is a laptop, does the "charger" charge the battery okay? Does it suddenly reboot or shutdown when running just on battery? Just on charger with battery removed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry I have solved the support problem. I was browsing through this forum and looking at solutions to people that were experiencing the same issues I was. All I literally had to do was tighten the screws on the bottom of my laptop. I haven't experienced it since then. I forgot what it had to do with though.

Could that be like a mechanism to power down if the motherboard becomes loose or something?

Thanks for clarifying the difference between PC and laptop. I've been using those terms interchangably for 20 years lol.I always thought of a PC as any windows machine tbh lol.

Have a great day and thanks again for the help!!

-Ryan

·
Visiting Tech
1,475 Posts
I always thought of a PC as any windows machine tbh lol.
They (PCs - as in desktops/towers) often are Windows machines. But so are most laptops!

But a "PC" can also run with Linux instead of Windows. And a laptop can be an Apple or Google Chromebook.

I don't know what the screws on the bottom have to do with this. I can only think there is some loose connector that is now being held tight. I would think it still is loose, just not as loose. I hope it continues to work for you and thanks for posting your followup.

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi there,

I concur with Bill_Bright on the loose screw on the bottom of the laptop not being able to do with the shutdown issue. Yes, run the laptop on battery and see if the laptop still shuts down. Also, check for system errors in the Event Viewer when you can and if there are any errors, post the errors here.

May I ask, how old is this laptop? Lastly, what is the laptop brand and model?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It still seems to be working fine. The laptop is going to be 2 years old this December.

It's an HP Pavilion, core i7 2.4GHz w/ 12GB RAM

I will check the event viewer when I have an opportunity to. I just wanted to quickly reply so you guys know I'm not leaving you hanging but the laptop has not shut down or given me any BSoD's whether running on battery or connected to power.

I'll see if anything odd in event viewer comes up, if it doesn't I think I'll end this thread here tbh. The problem has been solved for now and I'm always running around it's hard to find a few hours here and there to troubleshoot my own laptop.

Thanks for everything though fellas, take care!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.