Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My PC is resetting itself when on high end games, not sure whether to buy a new PSU, or a Zalman fan for my GPU, of could it be my CPU overheating?

How can I diagnose what could be causing the problem?

Couldn't find average temps for a ATI Radeon x1600 Pro but mine seems really high even idle its at 65c, is that high?

These problems only started since I installed a new processor though, can the GPU cause the computer to reset if it overheats?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every program I have used for this, has produced different results, heres the results when idle for the program suggested.. thanks for the responce.

CPU: 35-40c
HD: 33c
AUX: 37c

CPU fan: 2084 RPM - this just runs at full speed all the time..

VCoreA: 1.33V
+3.3V: 3.30V
+12V: 11.60
+VBAT: 0.26v

Only temp high is my graphics card, but not sure if thats the idle temp they operate at normally..

Daniel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I bought a new PC case yesterday, which came with a new 500w PSU, but its way too loud, and probably a poor PSU.

So I just ordered this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=140076821593&rd=1&rd=1

This going to be any good?

Hopefully my problems will go away once I've installed it, it doesnt happen on all games, mainly games with new generation graphics, such as Splinter Cell Double Agent or Rainbow Six Vegas, which is why I think my current fan on my x1600 isnt doing its job ..

Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 550 3.4ghz with Artic Cooling Heatsink
Asus P5S800-VM
Seagate 160gb HD
ATI Radeon Pro x1600
2 x 512mb RAM

Not sure if thats what you wanted, but If I missed something out let me know.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my heatsink had artic silver already applied, but I have bought 2 processors recently and the first one didnt work, even though it was on the compatible list.. so while I was trying to diagnose that problem the heatsink was removed and reinstalled a good few times, so not sure if the thermal paste on is sufficient.

I do have some artic silver thermal paste, and I followed the instructions on the website, but I just couldnt do it, the paste just sticks to the razor blade and doesn't spread the way I want it to.. I'm probably going to end up buying another heatsink with pre applied paste to find out :rolleyes:

Why oh why did I ever decide to upgrade my processor?!?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
you just put the paste on the centre of the cpu,too much is just as bad as none just equivilent to a long grain of rice
put the heat sink on top and move it slightly left and right a couple of times,this will spread the paste
then clip it down
your problem looks more like power,when you buy a cheap power supply you may as well just put a match to the money,quality ones are around the
$80-120 mark,you get what you pay for
see what results this gives you
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.