Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after going on newegg browsing getting some advice I've come up for my next gaming PC. I was wondering if this would work any advice would be helpful.

Memory:
KIngston ValueRAM 1G (2x 512mb) 194-pin DDR SDRAM
Dual Channel Kit system
$80

Harddrive:
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3000JB 300 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE
Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
$132

Powersupply:
Silver Stone ZEUS SST-ST65ZF ATX12V 650w Power Supply
$176

CD/DVD Burner:
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A
$44

Video Card:
SAPPHIRE 100103SR-RD Radeon X850XT GDDR3 PCI EXPRESS x16
$459

Sound Card:
Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro 70SB036000000 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
$212

Cooling Device:
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU LED 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan
$42

MOnitor:
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+
$345

Keyboard & Mouse:
Microsoft Digital Media Pro BX1-00005 2-Tone 105 Normal Keys 22 Function Keys + 1 Zoom Slider Function Keys USB + PS/2 Standard Keyboard
$30

Microsoft IntelliMouse N50-00002 2 tone 5 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse
$26

Case:
RAIDMAX ATX-901WB Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$100

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
xProx said:
Well after going on newegg browsing getting some advice I've come up for my next gaming PC. I was wondering if this would work any advice would be helpful.
-----
What case?
-----
What CPU?
------
Memory: (184-pin?????)
KIngston ValueRAM 1G (2x 512mb) 194-pin DDR SDRAM
Dual Channel Kit system
$80

This is nice ram and works well, but is not the fastest in latency.
-----
Harddrive:
Western Digital Caviar SE WD3000JB 300 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE
Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
$132

If i wanted a gaming computer (I don't), I would use Sata Drives.
-----

Powersupply:
Silver Stone ZEUS SST-ST65ZF ATX12V 650w Power Supply
$176

You have chosen a great power supply, but a 550 Antec or Enermax will do the same job for a lot less money and the quality is great.
-----
CD/DVD Burner:
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A
$44

Excellent choice
-----
Video Card:
SAPPHIRE 100103SR-RD Radeon X850XT GDDR3 PCI EXPRESS x16
$459

Excellent Choice, even though I feel the price does not justify buying one of these
-----
Sound Card:
Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro 70SB036000000 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
$212

Yes, but the bang for the buck in my opinion is hard to justify
------
Cooling Device:
ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU LED 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan
$42

YES
-----
MOnitor:
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+
$345
Not familar with that one
-----
Keyboard & Mouse:
Microsoft Digital Media Pro BX1-00005 2-Tone 105 Normal Keys 22 Function Keys + 1 Zoom Slider Function Keys USB + PS/2 Standard Keyboard
$30

Microsoft IntelliMouse N50-00002 2 tone 5 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse
$26

This one is fine, but I recommend the Logitech MX700 optical set
-----

Case:
RAIDMAX ATX-901WB Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$100

YES, have not had one but have heard good things if you use a good power supply.
Boy, i love these personal opinion threads. One can only be wrong if you do not agree with yourself and I always agree with myself. That is my opinion on your selections.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
the sytem looks good but i have a second opinion on the hyundai monitor though, actually from a friends point of view. my friend bought that same monitor and he had a bad experience with it. he told me that the viewing angle wasnt good enough and it hurted his eyes constantly. he returned it and got the viewsonic VX924. he really loves this monitor and he doesnt regret the purchase.

im not saying the hyundai is bad since ive read good reviews on it and i was planning to purchase one myself. im in the market for an lcd but im still looking. everything else looks good!!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If you feel the urge to splurge on a video card then you should really consider the GeForce 7800GT. It's quite a bit faster than an X850XT, runs cooler (not a minor consideration with high-end cards), and they cost about $380. They're expensive but not wastefully expensive like some of the higher-end cards out there.

I'd also suggest getting 2GB of RAM rather than 1GB if you're building a new high-end system. New games like BattleField 2 are starting to run quite a bit better with 2GB than 1GB and you'll soon see more games doing the same. You might consider getting two 1GB memory sticks so you'll have two memory slots open for the future. 2GB of RAM may seem like as much RAM as you'll need for the life of the computer but programmers will always find ways to use up whatever resources they have available (and this is speaking from 30 years of experience as a programmer - "who would ever want more than 64K?!?"... "who would ever want more than 640K?!?"... "who would ever want more than 16MB?!?"... it will never stop. And make sure you get a 64 bit CPU so you don't go splat against the 32 bit barrier). Someday soon you may wish you could add more RAM past 2GB. 1GB sticks are usually a bit slower than 512MB sticks but some newer ones are not that bad. And the real-world performance of the computer isn't affected much at all by slightly slower RAM.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello;

I second Tumbles advice on the PSU / the Silver Stone is a nice unit but there are other options that you wont see a diff and let you spend $70.00 where it will help you !! Get an ANTEC TRU Power 550

I also second the opinion of Uncle Macro on the two one gig sticks of ram / but please no Value Ram yuck!! Crucial, Corsair, OCZ
OCZ and Crucial have some rocking fast ram with low latency (cas 2 i believe)

The Zalman cooler is an excellent choice / I dont regret buying mine for a minute

you left out two major considerations / mobo & cpu ???????

Personally I would rather have two 120 gig hard drives than one big 300 gig / two 120's would allow you to do a real data safety back-up / one big drive doesnt !! nothing is worse than losing a 300 gig drive with all you data on it
check ebay to get a range on your prices / you can get good used back-up drives cheap

another note **** make sure you check your memory model for compatability with you MOBO !!!!!!!!!!!! most ram manufacturer's have a memory selector on thier website / make sure the ram model # you buy has been tested and GUARANTEED to work in the mobo you select.

regards

joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.