Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a new computer, and it comes with a 256MB ATI Radeon® X600 HyperMemory graphics card.
Is this a good enough card to play new and future games?

·
Registered
209 Posts
dont get the Hyper memory cards, or the turbo cache.
its actually worse when it says either of those 2 things. if there is another option go with it, its well worth it.

if there is not, those cards will work with all the new games, but it will run poorly, as it uses onboard memory, which means you need more ram aswell.

if thats your only option you could save yourself abit by buying atleast 1gb of ram.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, the computer has 2GB RAM, so would that be better if I had to get that card?

The other options are:
256MB nVidia GeForce 6800
or
Single 256MB PCI-Express nVidia™ GeForce™ 7800

The only problem is the above cards are stretching my budget.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, ok...
Finally, I'm buying the computer from Dell. I've heard mixed things about them. :4-dontkno So in your opions, are Dell computers good or not?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you don't know much about PC's then that'd be the reason you'd buy a Dell.

Good reason to learn if you ask me!!

The problem is that they tie all their software and their hardware so that it can be hard to either upgrade, find drivers or even do a plain installation of an OS without using their own cd's. In other words, easy for the beginner, totally impractical for the enthusiast upwards.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

We get so many Dell problems with the proprietary parts and high cost of replacing anything that goes bad because other parts won't fit. Upgrading as mentioned is almost not possible unless you want to buy other parts that are prohibitive in cost. I also, could never recommend a Dell computer for these reasons.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
As to the question about RAM... I'm not certain, but I believe a video card sharing memory is slower by definition than one with onboard, genuine video ram.

·
Registered
462 Posts
my opinion: If you have the knowledge or know someone who does you should build your own pc it is alot cheaper and you can choose what parts you want individually. I also want to know what all of the specs are on the dell your looking for, e.g. processor, ram, HHD size. And what price are you paying for the machine?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I was talking to some people I know about the same problem, and they said the same as you all have.
I decided not to buy the Dell, but instead go to a local firm in a while.
Thanks for everyone's help though! :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
no problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.