Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a bit of background, the folks in the HJT forum were an amazing help. But I had one more question which is in the exchange below with a HJT mod. I would like to speed up my desktop.

"No active malware is showing up. Can you be more specific as to the problems this machine is experiencing?

MY QUESTION: It simply runs very very slow, takes 4-5 minutes to logon and very slow switching between programs. This machine has had a lot of kids games installed and uninstalled as well as numerous other programs put on and taken off, maybe there is simply too much on it for it's capabilities. How would I go about checking/editing the programs that start on login and run in the background? Maybe that would help. Other than that, maybe time to reformat soon?

Hi,

As this is an Operating System issue, you would be better served discussing this in the Windows XP section of this forum. Let the experts there guide you on optimizing your system.

Let them know you've been cleared in the HijackThis Forum."

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sry, should have mentioned that the machine in queston is a Dimension 2300 desk top with XP home, 256 memory, P4.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Upgrade your memory to 512mb, this is the least expensive way to increase your preformance

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I amplanning to increase to 512, but for right now I cannot find the startup folder. It does not show up when I go through the start>all programs. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
If you are after a list of programs that open when you start your computer go to start/run type in msconfig and then hit enter then open up the start up tab

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
It might be a hidden folder. Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab and set 'Show hidden files and folders', click OK and go to C:\Documents and Settings\[name]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup to see the contents of the folder.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ty for your assistance. I've checked the startup and there really isnt much there. I'll do some research on the running processes in msconfig just to see what shows. Pls consider thread closed.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
This thread will be closed. The original poster has stated that he/she is not needing additional assistance. If the original poster needs this thread re-opened please pm a moderator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.