Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an 80 gig hard drive. I switched it into a new computer and installed the new drivers, but did so in a pretty sloppy manner. The problem is that I have a folder I made on my desktop thats about 52 gigs of media, music, etc that I must keep and only about 2 gigs of free space left.

Is there any way I can use some kind of program or commands to make this folder into it's own partition? Or is there a way I can make around a 60 gig partition on this drive still even with its space being practically full?. It seems silly that someone couldn't turn a folder into its own drive somehow, but the nagain I don't know the technical aspects of such things either. Let me know soon please ;D

P

·
0 Posts
Indeed it is not a very easy process. A good way is to use a third party software to make a new partition. I would use partition magic. It is kinda confusing and maybe a hassle and might also be risky if you dont have experience with it. Best way is treating yourself with another 80 gb Western Digital HD since they are not very expensive these days.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Although what you said is correct, i must disagree that it's complicated with partition magic :).

The other thing is, if u use partition magic then partition it, and just move the folder to the drive and you're done.
-blitze

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aye but the main problem is I dont have any more hd space to partition before I would drag the folder to it. I am going to need a sort of "right click and select make partition" or something similar to that. Where I can make the actual directory itself the partition without loosing its info, so I can format the other 20gb and reinstall windows and have all my files safe on a separate one. ;D I will get partition magic and see if I can do something like this. If I can things will be mighty fine. ;D

·
Registered
559 Posts
hmm... You may be able to do it... make as large of a partition as u can... then move as much as u can onto it.. then shake 3 times and repeat.
-blitze

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.